• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 pinion bearing race spun-any recommendations?

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
Bought a dana 44 that was ran low on oil and caused the pinion bearing race to spin in the housing. Any recommendations on how to repair it?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Bought a dana 44 that was ran low on oil and caused the pinion bearing race to spin in the housing. Any recommendations on how to repair it?
I'm not a machinest, and only a half-a$$ed mechanic... But...

Depending on how bad the housing was damaged.. Locktite makes a product for locking bearings and races into place. Or, contact a bearing supplier and give them the race number. They may be able to spec a race with a little larger OD. Then have the housing machined for that larger race.

Hauq

What an odd analysis. I've not heard of spinning the pinion race. Do you know if it's the outer or inner race? It doesn't matter; I'd just change out the bearings and drive on.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Steve has it pegged..if its not so sloppy in the bore that it can be retained with Cylindrical Locktite, then that is probably going to work. (You won't always find the cylindrical locktite at an auto parts supply btw..and its green in color.)

If its actually so loose in its bore that you can wiggle the race around with your fingers..you are completely wasting your time and the housing is simply trashed.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What an odd analysis. I've not heard of spinning the pinion race. Do you know if it's the outer or inner race? It doesn't matter; I'd just change out the bearings and drive on.

Seen many a spun outer race; pinions and wheel bearings mostly, but some trannys too. Usually means something really ugly happened ...running without lubrication certainly being ugly.;)

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I have fixed a couple by taking a center punch and making small indendations around the area where the race will sit so it is firm when you tap it in. Before I tap it in I use the green locktite sleeve retainer just to make sure it doesnt move.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have fixed a couple by taking a center punch and making small indendations around the area where the race will sit so it is firm when you tap it in. Before I tap it in I use the green locktite sleeve retainer just to make sure it doesnt move.

Old trick. I have seen a few spindles that have been dimpled to make them hold the bearing race after a spun wheel bearing. And some of this stuff I know has had a lot of miles put on it that way. And that was done without the green loctite.