• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help.. newbie..

fordtuff

Loc.
Ruskin
Hello all,

I have a 69 bronco that I'm semi restoring. I've never done anything like this before but couldn't pass it up for the price.. (divorce sale)
Anyways, my first problem is on the front passenger side front axle. The truck has the dana 44. The on the spindle where the lugs go are completely warn out. They just flop. meaning they are no longer tight... I was told that in 69 their are 2 different spindels and I need to make sure I get the correct one. I have looked on jeffs and the graveyard and can't seem to find one. Anyone have a clue where to get one (used) and how I know which one i need?

Thanks to anyone who trys to answer..

Travis

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it the spindle or the hub you're talking about? Is it the part that the wheel studs press into? Can you post a picture of the bad part?

70_Steve

Old Guy
And are you sure it's a Dana 44? The 69 should have come stock with a Dana 30. So, if it is a Dana 44 any parts breakdown for a 69 Bronco will be worthless.

Oh, and Welcome, and congrats on the purchase.

OP
OP
F

fordtuff

Loc.
Ruskin
You could be correct. I was told it was a 44 but it may not be. Here's a picture of what I need.

hub.jpg

70_Steve

Old Guy
OK, so you need the hub, but can't really tell if it's a Dana 30 or Dana 44. Here's a link to help you tell the difference.
http://www.broncohio.com/tech/dana30dana44.html

I may get some flak for this suggestion, but for now, since to resolve the problem, you'd need to get a whole new hub, why not just bolt the thing up to a wheel, to get the studs centered, then tack weld each stud? You're gonna have to get a new hub at some point anyway...

OP
OP
F

fordtuff

Loc.
Ruskin
I was going to do that... but its cast.. I was told that welding it is very hard. It has to be heated to weld then cooled very slow or it will crack.. Thanks for the link. I really appreciate your input.

Travis

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
So since you know its a D44, the only other variable is disc or drum. Then you can order from morst of the bronco vendors.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If its a drum brake setup you might even put a ad in the wanted section as many people will have old drums and hubs sitting around because they did a disc brake swap. might find someone near you that has one and it would probably be cheap or free.

OP
OP
F

fordtuff

Loc.
Ruskin
I found one.. Its off of a 72 bronco with the dana 44.. So i'm asumming that one will fit mine?? Any changes i need to worry about?