• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4X4X2 vs stock box length

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Curious if anyone knows how far, if at all, a 4X4X2 steering box hangs down below the frame farther than the stock power steering box. thanks

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Depends on where you mount it. I used the stock forward holes and drilled 2 new rear holes. It hangs the same distance below the frame as the stock box.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Not sure how far the stock one hangs down, but here is a shot showing how far my 4X4X2 box hangs.

attachment.php

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Ok thanks. I was hoping it hung down a little lower. Im going to be using F150 knuckles and a TRO with a 3,5 suspension lift. With the stock knuckes and a TRO, you dont need a drop pitman arm with a 3.5 inch SL. But the F150 knuckles have lower steering arms so Im not sure if I will need one or not.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
You can mount it lower if you want it lower. I run the full width F150 D44 (so same knuckles), Chevy 1Ton TRE's in TRO, stock pitman arm and 5.5" SL. No problems. If anything you want the box as high as possible and pitman arm as well to make sure the drag link wont hit the tie rod on full compression.
DSC_0867.jpg

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Ok thanks. The pics of different set ups definitly helps. One question though. I have heard time and time again how inportant it is to have the steering link from the pitman arm and the trac bar to be at the same angle, or as close as possible. But both of you guys have angles that arent parallel. Any opinion on that?

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I understand that. Thats why I was asking Devin and bronco69er why theirs arent. I was thinking bronko69er needs a trac bar riser and devin needs to lose the drop pitman arm. Just curious what their thoughts were on it.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Since that picture was taken, I have lost the drop pitman arm. It was all I had at the time. But, I noticed the same thing that you did.

With the stock arm, the bars are almost parallel. The lift is a 3.5" SL and the knuckles are just stock ones from a '76.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Cool. Thanks Devin. I just compared my F150 knuckles to some 76 versions I have and the F150 steering arms are 1 5/8 lower so I think I'll still be ok.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
That picture is somewhat deceiving. It is closer to parallel than it looks, yet still not perfect. It is close enough for me not to notice any bump steer. I am using a small riser on the axle.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While lenghts and angle are important its not set in stone as long as your setup is adjustable and the angles are similar you'll be fine.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana