• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wild Horse stock 13 gallon tank doesn't fit???!! **fixed**

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone else have issue with fitment of the WH 13 gallon stock steel tank?

Seems the main fill tube is attached to tank about 3/16-1/4inch to low so when tank is mounted, the filler tube rides on the frame rail. I actually have to psuh the passenger side up three inches to get the right side of the tank to touch the right mounts, meaning this bends the filler tube up and into the body. I have 1" BL. I have the tank mounts pushed as far "up" as they will go.

I measured my stock tank which fits fine and the inlet tube sits 1/4 inch higher...

Also, sender unit and locking ring issue. Seems the sender unit locking ring supplied is just a little bit smaller and made of metal which is a lot weaker, which allows the ring to slip off one of the three mounting tabs as it is turned onto the tank bracket. I corrected this by using the original old ring which worked fine. Lastly, not happy with the square cut sealing oring, I think the shape will result in a leak later down the road as the ring is taller than it is wide, shouldn't that be a round oring? Hope it works.

Only work around to filler tube is to "maletize" the tube for releif from hitting the frame rail. I have also considered reinstalling my original but I need to paint it after having it cleaned up.

Why me, I'm getting tired of this aftermarket "bolt on" stuff not fitting.

Last edited:

crankman

Can you return it? Start over with another brand maybe? Call them and see what you can work out with them.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
doing that in the AM, just wondering if others have had these issues.

512cadillac

gas tank

I had the same problem. They had no issues with my exchanging it for another tank. They still told me that there was nothing wrong with the first tank and that they installed it with no problems in another mock-up Bronco they had. The second tank fit better but it still wasnt like the factory tank. John

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Can't help with your other issues, but the sending unit o-ring is supposed to be square cut. All classic Ford gas tanks I have messed with (Bronco & Mustang) used the square cut rings as opposed to a plumbers type ring.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
correct, but the ring is taller than it is flat, so it folds over onto it's side when compressed.

croft75

I bought a used OEM tank during my rebuild and the filler tube was right on the frame compared to what I had , I ended up giving the mounting brackets a little attention with a BFH that gave me enough clearance. I think it really comes down to the angle of the filler neck when it is soldered into the tank.
I don't think there is anyway to get some suppliers aftermarket filler hose in because it is marine thick wall hose so watch that.
I have had 2 of the square sided seals in with new lock rings from BG with no leaks .
good luck

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks.

At this point I also think the easiest option is to grind out a little of the mounting bracket screw holes so they ride higher, and let the tank fit.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I fixed it by grinding out the mounting brackets 3/16's and "raising" the tank. Now there's about 1/16 clearance frame to tank fill tube.