• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transmission question...

BroncoStar

Loc.
League City Texas
I want to swap my three on the column transmission for an automatic one. I found one supposebly the guy just rebuilt it .The transmission is a c-4 auto transmission off a 1983 ford F-100 and I was wondering if im gonna have to do any modifications at all?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes. It will need a short 4x4 output shaft swapped in. You'll also need a C4 to D20 adapter housing and bearing retainer. Driveshaft length stays the same.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
oh wow. ok that helps out .
Is there anyother ford truck that uses the same automatic trans as the early bronco?

The early Bronco is the only vehicle that used a 4x4 C4. Later Bronco II's used a 4x4 C5 (basically the same thing) but they had a different output shaft and adapter. Those parts won't work in an early Bronco.