• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Gauge problem

durwood71

I have a 71 Bronco with dual tanks. The Aux tank reads correct on the gauge, but the Main tank reads over full. We have tested the wires; ground and leads to both tanks are good. The sending unit is new and we have tested both post on the sending unit, that is good. The Oil, Temp and Alt gauges all work. What else could it possibly be? ?:?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How did you test the sending unit? How many ohms did you see?

OP
OP
D

durwood71

Main tank had 43ohms on approx 1/2 tank, Also ran test wires from the sending unit to the switch and ground. The Aux tank which is reading correctly read 11 ohms on a full tank.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sender looks ok. I'd expect to see a short to ground somewhere on the orange wire causing it to max the gauge. Other causes could be a miss-wired switch, bad switch, or a bad gauge itself. You can test the gauge by unhooking the orange fuel wire and attaching one of the other sender (oil or temp) wires. If the gauge still maxes then it's bad.

OP
OP
D

durwood71

I can rule out the shorted wire as I ran a test wire from sender to switch and got same result.
The gauge works when switched to the aux tank. The switch is new, I also have the original switch and get same result from both. What you said about miswired makes sense as it only had 1 wire hooked up when I got the Bronco. I thought I had it right but maybe I don't. How should it be wired? Why does it have 6 connections for only 3 wires?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How should it be wired? Why does it have 6 connections for only 3 wires?

It was probably an off the shelf part that Ford used on something else previously.

Attachments

• fuel sender sw.jpg
    fuel sender sw.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 19