• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to clean/paint old parts

mortimersnerd

Title pretty much says it all. I'm going to clean up an paint some if the drivetrain parts on my EB, want to know if there is a better way to clean up a bunch of old, oily bits than Simple Green and a scrub brush. Once cleaned, I'm planning a rattle can paint. How important is primer for things like tie rods and knuckles? Anything else I need to do or that you guys can suggest?

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Well there is a better degreaser on the cheap than simple green or purple stuff...

Go to your local Dollar Store, get 1 large bottle of Dawn dish soap, 1 gallon of rubbing alcohol, 2 gallons bleach and 2 gallons water. Mix it all together and use it. I have less than 10 bux in 5 gallons of cleaner and it works great. After its degreased, find someone with a blast cabinet or splurge and buy one from harbor freight. Blast your parts clean, epoxy prime and paint.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
You can use Easy Off oven cleaner. It will take off the grease and alot of the paint. I usually pressure wash the parts first to knock the mud and crud off. After you dry the parts spray the oven cleaner on and let it sit 10-15 mins then pressure wash again. Only use it if you plan on repainting because it will destroy the paint.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
You can use Easy Off oven cleaner. It will take off the grease and alot of the paint. I usually pressure wash the parts first to knock the mud and crud off. After you dry the parts spray the oven cleaner on and let it sit 10-15 mins then pressure wash again. Only use it if you plan on repainting because it will destroy the paint.

Thats how I strip engines and tranny's for paint, works great!

Mao

Loc.
Greenwood, LA
Well there is a better degreaser on the cheap than simple green or purple stuff...

Go to your local Dollar Store, get 1 large bottle of Dawn dish soap, 1 gallon of rubbing alcohol, 2 gallons bleach and 2 gallons water. Mix it all together and use it. I have less than 10 bux in 5 gallons of cleaner and it works great. After its degreased, find someone with a blast cabinet or splurge and buy one from harbor freight. Blast your parts clean, epoxy prime and paint.

That's quite a cocktail! Does it smoke? :p

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
I just used oven cleaner last weekend on my Tcase that had never been out. I sprayed it on really thick and let it sit overnight. The next morning it looked GREAT, so clean you could eat off it. Well someone could, not me. I agree Pressure wash, Easy off and Pressure wash again. you will be happy.

Baja71

Bronco Guru

Go to your local Dollar Store, get 1 large bottle of Dawn dish soap, 1 gallon of rubbing alcohol, 2 gallons bleach and 2 gallons water. Mix it all together and use it. I have less than 10 bux in 5 gallons of cleaner and it works great.

I think that's what I was drinking during the Superbowl.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
For full customs and restos we steam clean, disassemble and sand blast / bead blast all we can and then prime with either PPG DP epoxy or trio-prime and then top coat with PPG chassis black (industrial line of coatings).

For on the vehicle and trail rig use, I'd scrape off heavily greasy areas then soak with degreaser and pressure wash. There is a product called LA's Totally Awesome which is sold at the Dollar Stores. It worked very well for many degreasing jobs and is only $1 for a 32 or 48 oz. refill bottle of concentrate.

I'd then remove any final contamination with solvent and a rag before I shot on some spray can primer and then top with Krylon satin black.

Last edited:

ren71

I use carb or brake cleaner to strip paint, get's expensive though.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
No smoke. A friend of a friend works at a chem lab and pretty much said this recipe is the nuts and bolts of purple stuff. We tried it and he was right, works very well without the expense. Not as caustic as oven cleaner but itwont strip paint like easy off will.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
You can get the big 2 or 3 gallon jugs of degreaser from autozone for about 12 bucks. I scraped off the crud and then let parts soak in a 5 gallon bucket over night. I also got some stuff there call Evapo Rust. Filled up one of my wifes Tupper Ware bowls and let the small stuff soak too. The stuff actually works. My T case parts came out looking brand new. Completely rust free.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
After you degrease smaller parts that have some rust, drop them in a bucket of muratic acid, let them soak for an hour or so, pull them out, wash good with soap or purple stuff and get primer on them. eats the rust right off. I think I have a before and after pic I will post if I can find them.

66horse

Bronco Guru

Any idea if a harbor freight parts cleaner pump will have any issues with this concoction? Just got it and trying to figure out the best bang for buck to put in it. Other stuff is expensive....

Thanks,
Steve

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Old thread revival!

I subscribed to this thread a long time ago and just found this recipe for an all purpose cleaner.
Posting it up to save it :
What you need:
-1 Professional Spray Bottle (it is worth the extra $1, trust me!)
-8 oz. Distilled White Vinegar
-4 oz. Lemon Juice
-2 oz. Liquid Soap (I use Dawn)
-2 tsp. Baking Soda
-10 oz water

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
After you degrease smaller parts that have some rust, drop them in a bucket of muratic acid, let them soak for an hour or so, pull them out, wash good with soap or purple stuff and get primer on them. eats the rust right off. I think I have a before and after pic I will post if I can find them.

I used this method often in my build.