• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

B&M super cooler....right size C4

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's a little smaller than I would use. If you put it in a place that has lots of direct airflow it might be ok. The only way to really know is to measure temps.

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
Would it be ok in the Baja spot under the radiator? I have the same cooler that I have not installed yet.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
I was told a minuim of 19,000 GVW (11"x7 1/2"x 3/4") #70268 and I run with a 10" electric fan full-time on my C-4

Your #70264 is a 24,000 GVW (11"x6"x1-1/2") as Viper said you need Air-Flow

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
There are other factors to consider if your trans will stay cool enough. Tire size and gear ratio will work the trans, so there wouldn't be a cooler big enough if not geared properly for tire size. (Like me ;D) Also how you are using your Bronco will have a big effect on, "will this be big enough"?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use an 11" X 11-3/4" plate cooler mounted in front of the radiator behind the grill. I do not run this through the radiator. Stock 302, C-4 tranny, 33" tires and 4:11 gearing. Tranny has never seen 170 degrees F even when climbing around in the desert at 110 degrees out side. If I lived where its really cold out I would plumb it through the radiator and plumb bypass valves so in the summer I could bypass the radiator. I have been running this set-up for close to 18 years. I occasionally tow trailers up to 2,000 pounds with no issues.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Are there any OEM applications for the plate type coolers so we could score one in a junk yard? I have fairly large tube & fin and plan to add a fan. But if I can get stacked plate oil cooler from a diesel truck or maybe an A/C evaporator that would be cool (all puns intended).

OP
OP
N

NMHS

I was told a minuim of 19,000 GVW (11"x7 1/2"x 3/4") #70268 and I run with a 10" electric fan full-time on my C-4

Your #70264 is a 24,000 GVW (11"x6"x1-1/2") as Viper said you need Air-Flow

Bummer, I talked to one of their techs about this and this is what they recommended. Are you then recommending the 70268 or what would you recommend?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
B&M 70274
any cooler you use for the tranny will need forced air through it. Put a Tee in your return tranny line and make sure the center hole of the T is facing down and screw in a temperature guage up from the bottom. That way you don't get a trapped air pocket at the temperature sensor.

OP
OP
N

NMHS

Thats the one I was originally going to get until I was directed otherwise.......Thanks!

DJFBronco

Loc.
Southeastern Ohio
Just installed the exact one as an added cooler to the radiator after i installed the shift kit. mounted it in front of the radiator off to the passenger side with the ports facing the passenger side. we'll see how it works!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm with rustytruck, My research says 11x11 with a fan should work nicely in AZ.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Will this supercooler work as the sole transmission cooler on a C4? I hope so, I already bought it and received it today. It looks a little small. Thanks!

70264 - B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70264/

Why not use the one in the radiator too? It takes a huge air cooled one to match the efficiency of that little one in your radiator. An added benefit, it takes absolutely no space.;)

RT

Bronco Guru
If it's not enough , add another inline.

I run a 11"x8" in front of the rad , and a 11"x11" with a fan when things get hot.

anoblefox

Contributor
I have had the 8-1/2 x 11 x 1-1/2 mounted under the passenger seat floor for years in the desert. However, when I moved to LA I found the temps past 170 so I added a small fan controlled by a thermostat. The fan only comes to play in summer bumper to bumper traffic. I went over 250k on the original trans with this setup, a record for me with ANY automatic transmission. NOW the only caution is mud, it will be a problem, clogging the fins. I have always been in the desert so this has not been any trouble for me.