• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tbird 3.8 SC

3.8SC Bronco

Loc.
Elkhart
I know most guys on here will tell me to just do a 5.0, but I'm really a six banger type and keep going back to my 6 cyl options to replace my 170 3 spd. I've found a '89 Tbird SC parts car and would like to swap engine and trans into my '71. Can anyone tell me what trans came in these cars, and if the gearing would work for a DD, plow truck. My truck has 411 rearend. 6 cyl guys give me your input. Thanks

turbotim2

I know nothing about the engine or trans but I think it would be a cool conversion! Hope you get it and post a lot of pics!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
That powerplant is indestructable! I worked on one that was a 5 spd (REALLY!) and we cranked up the boost, tuned the computer, ported the blower and heads. It ran like an animal. It had so much low end torque you it would crush you back in your seat. We never went inside the engine even with 18 lbs of boost! The stock exhaust manifolds and all! It would kill a clutch in 20K miles which was once a year for the owner. The mountain of torque just killed it.

They are unique so you need every part from the donor car from the intake pipes to the exhaust manifolds. The intercooler is key - you can not live without that.

I can not help you with what trans to use but I am sure it was not a unique block so any Mustang of the same era should use the same transmission.

turbotim2

A quick search revealed:

Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
AOD Gear ratios (89-93):
4th (0.67)
3rd (1.00)
2nd (1.47)
1st (2.40)

4R70W Gear ratios (94-95):
4th (0.67)
3rd (1.00)
2nd (1.55)
1st (2.84)

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I'm just an old fart, but if I was going to go to all of the trouble to put a six in my bronco there isn't but one I would even consider.

A 300 I6 with EFI. Tons of low end torque, exceptional torque even at idle. You are going to leave a lot on the table with that T-bird engine. I don't know about you guys but I don't drive my bronco much over 80 even if I have to pass. It will go more but Ive had large tire blow outs in the past at high speed and do no care to repeat that experience. That T-bird engine is just starting to come into its own at about 40. Unless your bronco is nothing but a street cruiser the 300 is the better choice and at least its been done and documented so you won't spend a lot of time scratching your head.

That T-bird engine is cool though.

Bronco_man_72

That must be one of those 3.8L V6 motors in that Tbird I imagine? My older brother is a 6 cylinder man and he put one into an older ford ranger. occording to him, they are basically a 302 minus 2 cylinders. He bolted one right up to one of the older mustang 4 speeds. The most trouble he had was with the motor mounts. I would think you could bolt one up to any 3 speed or automatic tranny from a ford with a standard 302 bell housing.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The super coupe engine is about the only V6 option I would consider.
It is not a 302 minus 2-cylinders. It is it's own engine design. Later they made it 4.2 for the F150s. most of the engines are naturally asperated and nothing exciting. But the super coupe isn't the common 3.8 V6 that so many people think of.

Due to the high torque output the transmission had to be better then the 5.0 (hence it has potential for a Bronco). automatics had some of the best parts ever put into an AOD. Stick shift was the Mazda 5-speed as the T5 from the mustangs can't take it. The only thing this engine has in common with a 302 is the bellhousing bolt pattern. Beware that the engine balance is different then any of the small blocks as well so no v8 flywheels or flexplates. Got to use the v6 stuff.

They did some wierd plumbing for the intercooler that will probably need modification. The rest should be fairly easy.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I had a friend in college with the T-Bird Super Coupe and it was a beast. Fun car to drive and regularly beat most cars on the street. I'd love to see one in an EB....do it & take pics!

mortimersnerd

Do it. That would be an awesome swap. Seems like a great way to have good power/torque without V8 weight.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
If it is a SC, the AOD will have the low gear set from the factory as well as the A+ servo. I would go for it if I had it available, just keep in mind the stock tire size and gear ratio of the SC and use it to base your correct ratio on so you will stay in the power band of that motor. Those SC's were awesome.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it is a SC, the AOD will have the low gear set from the factory as well as the A+ servo. I would go for it if I had it available, just keep in mind the stock tire size and gear ratio of the SC and use it to base your correct ratio on so you will stay in the power band of that motor. Those SC's were awesome.

Sorry, but no AOD ever got the wide ratio gear set from the factory. The wide ratio didn't come out until after the conversion to electronic shift
AOD->AODE->AODE-W/4R70W.

Some incorrect information is floating around.

If a factory wide ratio gear AOD existed then there would be an easy fix to get the wide ratio shift points easily corrected with factory parts. There isn't and most people just live with the raised shift points or get one of the nicer aftermarket valve body kits to correct this.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Also keep in mind your Bronco weighs a bunch more than that Supercoupe!

Not really = the T-Brid came in waaay over-weight at almost 3700 and a Bronco is almost 3200

OP
OP
3.8SC Bronco

3.8SC Bronco

Loc.
Elkhart

Wow grs44310 this has my attention, 3X the $ but 145k less mi may be worth it, I emailed the seller. Thanks for the lead. Thanks to everyone else for the info, sounds like I need to do a little research on tire sizes and rearend ratios to keep it in the powerband for my needs but certainly could be interesting. If I go for it there will be lots of pictures and through documentation of the entire process.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Sorry, but no AOD ever got the wide ratio gear set from the factory. The wide ratio didn't come out until after the conversion to electronic shift
AOD->AODE->AODE-W/4R70W.

Some incorrect information is floating around.

If a factory wide ratio gear AOD existed then there would be an easy fix to get the wide ratio shift points easily corrected with factory parts. There isn't and most people just live with the raised shift points or get one of the nicer aftermarket valve body kits to correct this.

I will find the tech article on this. I have done countless hours of research on the AOD and that was one of the things that made the SC sought after in parts yards. This was the factory conversion that was the origional predecessor to the 4R70W. As far as I know it was the only car that ford did that with but I will look again and verify it.

Well upon some digging through my research I found the info I was misquoting. The AOD's from 1996 on have the low gearset (most commonly called the AOD-E and all of the SC cars came with the A servo which is a sought after upgade for building the AOD to be stronger.

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
only concern I have for blown motors is air charge temp. here in Phoenix that thing wouldn't run well, parts east? like a scalded ape. I say if it fits, you must commit.