• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

N-Fab Step Bars

TK1791

Loc.
Boca Raton, FL
Okay - so I found a welder/fabricator that I meeting with on Wednesday to discuss the application of a set of N-Fab step bars to my 69 Sport. I have the measurements from the Regular Cab Ford F-150 set that they offer and it appears they will fit. I'm not sure what he has planned to span the distance from the frame to the edge of the body, but that's why we're meeting. Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, pitfalls, etc...that I should be aware of or bring up to this guy when we meet up. If you've never seen the bars I'm talking about, I attached the link. Thanks in advance for the help.

TK

http://www.n-fab.com/products/sfID1/71/sfID2/86/sfID3/87/productID/193

akforsyth

Contributor
Well I have a set on my pickup right now and love them. The only problem I find with them is the powder coating flakes off of the steps within about a year so while you are at it, get a boxliner sprayed on them. As for attaching, how about attaching them like guys do with rock skis? Couple of tie ins with the frame and the body Kinda like this idea, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
This is on my to do list when I get a chance to work on them. I have nver really wanted anything lower than my rockers simply for ground clearance but I dont wheel much anymore and my legs dont bend like they used to... So I need some old man steps I guess... :D

Please post pics if you do this.. I think they could look very cool.

Greg

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
xs2 my legs are getting older too. i just refuse to grow up!
please post pics. i had the same idea just havent gone further than the thought process. seems to stop at the ears

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I wasn't ready to post a thread on these yet, but here is a sneak peek,

The wife calls them "Mars Bars". I designed them after the N-fabs. Tied into the frame. Small step plate for sure footing. More pictures someday sooner or later.

Attachments

• Mars_bars.jpg
    Mars_bars.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 766

lil red

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I have a set of Nfabs on my 09 FX4. I love them. Absolutely no problems. As for my EB. When I get to that point (still a long way), I am planning on having Nfabs custom make me a set. They are only a couple of hours away.

Mars - those look awesome! Good work.

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
mars are those modified or can they be ordered that way. if so what vehicle is it designed to fit?
btw they look good. nice close fit. i dont like those that look like they are just hanging out there (like in mars or something like that! lol)

grimlock97

Loc.
Wetumpka, Alabama
I have a set of 6 Step NFabs that came off a dodge 2400 4 door that's laying in my field, I never even thought of trying them on the bronco, but i like the idea, i should be able to just cut them down to length then mount them, hopefully. But on the dodge they are screwed into the outer edges of the body and they were kind of flexy a little, so the guy i got them from took some .20 dom tubing and just welded to the back of them where they touch the frame as a brace, you couldn't see it from standing back and it solved all the sag from fat people stepping on them ( i know cause i'm one of them) you could try that. I'll try to get a picture later on this evening if i can and if it helps.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I can tell you that you have to tread (pun, I think) very carefully with nerf design. Most of them look like pontoons, sit too low, or are just to dog-goned big in diameter. You do not need 3 inch diameter bars, that's for sure. Diameters similar to tube bumpers look best. The second issue is getting the angle from the frame and the location of the steps just right.

The wife requested the one's I designed. So, after we got the right clearance with the rockers, we experimented with her stepping up on various elevations and then tacked the step bars in place according to where she felt most comfortable.

OP
OP
TK1791

TK1791

Loc.
Boca Raton, FL
Mars -

Sent you a PM. Please Please Please tell me you are interested in making a set of these for me. ;D

Call me if you want to talk about it. 561.305.2387.

Tony

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Tony, PM sent.
Fatboy, No I designed the MarsBars from scratch. N-fab wouldn't even answer my calls when I was trying to see if there was a CJ version that I could mod.Apparently only interested in Heeps. So screw them.
I will try to do a write-up. They are pretty simple just need some care in the clearances and positioning of steps, etc. My secret weapon in fabbing them was a local hot rod custom shop, Mild to Wild. They are the shop we all dream about. They can do anything. And they know what you are talking about before you finish your sentence. They are that good. Albuquerque is seriously deficient in knowledgeable car places. They are it. We had a serious discussion about why that is. If only BC or Bronco Hut would move here, where there is lots of land to use the Bronco in. Nicer political climate too.%)

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
hey mars,
just revitalized my search for the step bars...just saw where i even made an entry bout them.

did you complete them and/or is there another thread with pics and info. im getting too old (and/or fat) to step into my eb. cost me more money to lower than to modify a set!
thanks

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Mars those are good looking bars.. Funny we have a Muffler shop here that has on his ad .. Exhaust from Mild to Wild.. Barry is also good at design & custom work. He grew up in G&G machine ..

Broncology

I wasn't ready to post a thread on these yet, but here is a sneak peek,

The wife calls them "Mars Bars". I designed them after the N-fabs. Tied into the frame. Small step plate for sure footing. More pictures someday sooner or later.

WOW! I wish someone or a vendor made some EXACTLY like the one Mars made for his. I would buy a set!! Those "fit" the bronco perfectly. Great job!

Chuck

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
MarsBars

Well, there is a possibility that I will try to work with one of the vendors to get these going. I am waiting to hear about some professional activities that may make that impossible due to the time involved. But we will get something going one way or another.
They are really very simple in design, which is probably why they work so well. But there area few "got-ya's" in the dimensions and I have all those worked out.

BoJazer

Mars Bars

I too am too old to easily climb into my lifted Bronco and like the looks of your nurf bars and step. Did you weld the nurf bars to the frame and is there additional support bolted to the body or not? I think I would prefer a plate welded to the nurf bars and then bolted to the frame in case of future repairs. Also would suspect that some sort of spacer or body protection would be needed to keep the nurf bar from being bent up into the body. Any gottchas that you could describe would be helpful in getting my set made. Thanks. 1977 Bronco custom, 6" lift, green with white top and enterior.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Timely post, I was looking through vendor catalogs last night for nerf bars. So far I like your design best!:cool: Keep us posted if you come up with a way to have them mass produced. Or if your willing to share your design spec's. I would really like to have a set.

Fred

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Well, there is a possibility that I will try to work with one of the vendors to get these going. I am waiting to hear about some professional activities that may make that impossible due to the time involved. But we will get something going one way or another.
They are really very simple in design, which is probably why they work so well. But there area few "got-ya's" in the dimensions and I have all those worked out.

Well you have a great design... I have a lot of manufacturing capacity... If you can sell it to one of the vendors ask them to let me quote the manufacturing... I can build it, powdercoat it and package it for them / you.

Greg