• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Sanding Primer

cannonnum4

Loc.
Arlington
I'm stripping my doors and tailgate. when it comes time to primer i was wondering what you guys used? my dad said some primer is rubbery when it dries making it hard to sand cause it just rolls up under the sand paper. what primer can you sand that doesn't roll up?

daveCFPrez

Loc.
Federal Way
most primer thats mixed correctly and let dry will sand like it should. "Rolling" up is usually due to not mixed correctly, or not letting it dry enough.

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
Buy the best quality primer you can afford and you will be happier with the end result.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If your going to be priming bare metal make sure you either use an epoxy primer or a direct to metal primer. Epoxy is more expensive than most direct to metal primers.

As far as gumming up paper, you need to let it dry before you start sanding, either that's the problem or it wasn't mixed right/ there was an issue with the hardner either the wrong type or it was really old product?

OP
OP
cannonnum4

cannonnum4

Loc.
Arlington
it's not really old i bought it two days ago and i let it dry overnight. but when i go to sand it it rolls up under the paper like its rubbery. i was just wondering what kind of primer You guys used when you were doing body work

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
What grit are using to sand? If sanding dry 180-220 is best. Anything finer and it clogs in one pass. Wet 400-600 is a good choice. Are you block sanding now of just body work phase? I use 80 until the filler work is done.

Is it really dry? Some primers take 24 hours at 60 degrees to dry, others are very fast. Read the tech sheet thoroughly to understand mix ratio, recommended build thickness (too thick it never dries thoroughly) and paper.

Mark