• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering pulley too close to pump lines

RG801

Loc.
Oklahoma City
Hi,

My power steering pulley is millimeters from the high-pressure metal line. It looks like it rubs every once in a while. The PO installed the steering kit, so I don't know what make the pump is. It seems to me that the two best fixes would be 1) install a smaller pulley (there's currently plenty of hydraulic assist) or 2) create a right-angle adapter with a couple of brass NPT fittings.

Do any of you have experience with this?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 35

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's a stock PS pump with a very large pulley. Get a stock pulley. You don't want to use brass in that high pressure line and the angle fittings could adversely affect the operation.

OP
OP
RG801

RG801

Loc.
Oklahoma City
That's a stock PS pump with a very large pulley. Get a stock pulley. You don't want to use brass in that high pressure line and the angle fittings could adversely affect the operation.

Is the pulley just pressed on? I can't see any fasteners holding it on.

Thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes. Auto parts stores will loan a tool to remove/install it.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Do you have room for a shorter belt? If the adjustment is at the max or close just loosen the adjusting bolt and push the pump toward the motor.

OP
OP
RG801

RG801

Loc.
Oklahoma City
Do you have room for a shorter belt? If the adjustment is at the max or close just loosen the adjusting bolt and push the pump toward the motor.

I thought about that too. The belt is 48" x 7/16". There is quite a bit of play in it during installation. I'm headed to the parts store now. I'll try to find one around 46" or so...we'll see.