• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can you pull a leaf out of a 4 1/2" pack to make it 3 1/2" ?

RT

Bronco Guru
I may drop the suspention down a inch or so , I have the front coils , but could I just pull a leaf or two out of my 11 leaf pack to go fron 4 1/2 to 3 1/2 +- ?

I was thinking maybe the 4th one down then maybe the 7th ? Anyone done this ?
I know it's meant to work as a pack but I'm just trying to save the cost of buying another pack and selling this one . I just bought them last year .

Thanks guys

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes you can. It's kind of an experiment to see what you get though, unless you get an answer from someone who's done it recently. And happens to have a Bronco the same weight as yours.

You will always get the exact amount of drop as the thickness of the leaves you remove of course, so that's a consistent thing at least, but what additional drop you get from lowering the spring rate is a guess.
With some of those packs, there are quite a few short flat springs on the bottom. You could start with a couple of those if it's easier.
Maybe take a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch worth of leaves out to see where that gets you? Who's spring packs are they?

Paul

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
It can be a crap shoot. Alternate leaves if you remove multiples. don't leave long sections unsupported. I have been told to always leave at least the top three in the pack. Don't know if thats required but it makes some sense.

I had a CJ the was all jacked up in the rear when I bought it. I then reversed the front shackles and then removed leaves to get it level. As I remember I left the bottom two leaves and removed the third that was just about the same length as the second and it gave me about a 3/4" drop. Still a little higher than I wanted in the rear but no other leaf or combination of leaves would would keep the rear any closer to level without putting the rear lower than the front. I got really tired of taking those spring packs apart and putting them back together.

If you can't get what you want you can go to a spring shop. They are still around and a good shop can take your leaves and do just about anyting you want.

OP
OP
RT

RT

Bronco Guru
Who's spring packs are they?

Paul

They are the WildHorses / Deaver ? packs .

I messed with old leaves with a pickup a long time ago , but they were the old thick leaf pack .

Being the 11 thin leaf pack I was concerned with keeping support on the leaves .
I think I'll try the short bottom ones first like you said DirtDonk .

Or maybe they'll sag after the trails in Moab next month and I'll be set ;D

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I pulled 2 leafs out of a CAGE 8-pack and it dropped about an inch. Mine were 3 1/2 but were giving me about 4 1/2 lift and didn't seem to want to settle. I think I pulled #3 and #7 counting from the main leaf down.

OP
OP
RT

RT

Bronco Guru
How much time do you have on them now ? are they holding up ok?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can take a couple of leaves out now, and if they settle too much down the road or after a wheeling trip or two, you can add them back in as needed.

Just make sure you keep the center-pin good and tight.

Paul

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have the Deaver 4 1/2" 11 pack leafs. I pulled the two lower, shortest leafs out to make it about 3 1/2". I talked to the guy at Deaver and he said that should be fine, although he did say the same as 00gyrhed mentioned, not to leave long sections unsupported.