• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI or Carb? What should I do?

luckieschmuck

Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
Hey guys,

I'm clearly a newbie here trying to get some feed back. I have a 1976 EB with a 66 289 that was rebuilt in 2003. It was bored out from a 289 to around 296. It has an edelbrock intake with a holley (p-80?) 4b carb. I'm contemplating putting an EFI to it and I wanted to hear what the EB enthusiast had to say. Which one is better or is it just preference. thank you all for your opinions. :)

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
If you're into hard core rock crawling, the kind that rips up sheet metal, or if you find pumping the gas pedal in the morning before starting traumatic, or drive to and from high elevations, efi is the way to go.

If the carb serves your driving style, keep it

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Since you have to deal with CA smog inspections you might want to keep it stock.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
also the cost, EFI is going to cost you waaaay more. and then there is the trouble shooting aspect.

OP
OP
luckieschmuck

luckieschmuck

Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
also the cost, EFI is going to cost you waaaay more. and then there is the trouble shooting aspec

wow, didn't know how much trouble with cost I was going to get into.. I thought it was going to be an easy swap..I have no problem pumping the gas in the morning. Thats what I grew up with. (Carb). As for EFI, I thought my engine would be running smoother and also with less gas consumption.

Since you have to deal with CA smog inspections you might want to keep it stock.

I just read up on the CA exemption rules for a 76. Anything 1975 or older are exempt. sucks. So it would be a hassle to cross over.
Do EFI run cleaner than Carb or am I wrong?
thanks!:)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, you're not wrong. Better and cleaner (assuming it's done right) and it can pass smog too. The trouble lies in what engine/donor you choose to use parts from. Right now they don't bother to check that your '76 is actually sporting a '66 engine (a big no-no), but they will as soon as they see the EFI stuff and send you to a referee station to get a certificate of compliance. You might even have to change your engine block at that point.
You're only allowed to use the same year or newer engine in your rig, so a '66 engine (even if it meets the emissions tests (which it obviously has in the past?), it won't meet the visual.

The reason you need to worry about which donor you use, is that you have to use literally everything from that engine system to be legal. Member 904Bronco here just did it recently and his Mustang donor became a small nightmare when he had to use the exact airbox and exhaust system from the Mustang. That meant 4 catalytic converters and three trips to the referee to get it passed. Big hassle, but it got done. Runs like a champ too, and probably gets better mileage and makes our air easier to breathe.
He'll probably see this soon too, and chime in with corrections/additions to all that.

Then again, at least part of that hassle was the referee being a butthead. There's no reason he should have had to keep the exact Mustang-specific airbox/filter arrangement. Nor the vacuum reservoir that feeds nothing on the Bronco, simply because it was original to the Mustang. Just being a butt.

So pick a donor that gives you what you want. The least amount of under-hood junk, and the fewest cats. Not because it's better, but because it's less of a hassle. And 4 cats can get damn expensive!!!!! Not that you necessarily have a money issue. It's just that, why spend it if you don't have to, right?

Good luck. It can be done. Just read up big time. Do a search here for EFI threads, or specifically those started or contributed to by 904Bronco.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...wow, didn't know how much trouble with cost I was going to get into.. I thought it was going to be an easy swap...As for EFI, I thought my engine would be running smoother and also with less gas consumption.

Forgot to touch on this too.
The swap itself is very basic. The Ford EFI stuff literally bolts right to what you've got, for the most part. Not sure if there are any differences worth noting between a 289, vs a later 302 for example, but the basics are usually the same.
Where the trouble and hassle come into play when tuning, depends a lot on just what stuff you leave off. Most conversions delete things like air pumps, EGR systems, A/C systems, catalytic converters, and stuff like that. Plus often the cams are different from what was programmed into the computer from the factory, plus the air intake is plumbed differently, and the heads are different sometimes too. Though you're better off using the later model heads probably, as they're more efficient and would have every hole where it's expected to be. But you get the picture.
So the computer has to "learn" some of the new stuff, but some can only be manually programmed in with special tools and knowledge.

Other than that, piece of cake!;D

It sounds bad, but a ton of us are doing it. Including me. But I'm pretty sure the majority doing EFI are doing it to pre-'76 rigs too. Which eliminates a whole world of interesting possibilities.

Paul

OP
OP
luckieschmuck

luckieschmuck

Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
No, you're not wrong. Better and cleaner (assuming it's done right) and it can pass smog too. The trouble lies in what engine/donor you choose to use parts from.

See, that's the thing. I know my engine has around 15k on it since rebuild. It's a strong engine. If I pull it out and replace with a later 5.0/302. I don't want to feel like a jack@$$ for selling my 289 and not getting what was paid for it. I do want to eventually get 5.0 EFI. Because of exactly what you said. Better millage and a cleaner smoother running vehicle. I have been reading some EFI threads and what problems people are going through. And I know I can easily get a cheap used 5.0 from CL (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/pts/2293910166.html) and do a swap. My problem is that I know myself and I know that I would want it to be done right with a total rebuild... thus spending more cash and all the fun of installing it..which I would need a mechanic for..Since I'm not that awesome like some of you. lol :)
I guess for now I should finish up all the other little projects I have in my lists of things to do. And then worry about swapping out the 289 for a later more efficient 302.
Thanks again for your Intel and I appreciate all the pros and cons.