• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Header Gasket... A Different Question

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi,

I have searched this forum and the internet about a question concerning the installation of gaskets for Hedman headers without any success.

I purchased Mr. Gasket #5929 Ultra Seal header gaskets when I purchased the headers two weeks ago.

I removed the passenger side header this afternoon and was getting ready to install the Hedman. I got hung up on the gasket installation. The problem with not wrenching in a long time is that I don't take anything for granted... I'd rather do it right the first time.

I intend to use Permatex's copper spray sealant on both sides of the gasket before installation. Before applying the spray I wanted to determine the correct orientation for the gasket. The Mr. Gasket product is shown to work with the 302... it's just a little different from the gasket that came with the headers. (The ones Hedman provided are standard composite paper gaskets.)

The thing that is a little confusing concerns the port opening for each cylinder... the opening in the gasket is smaller than the the opening in the head and the opening in the header. I am thinking this must not be a big deal... although it seems kind of odd that it isn't the same size. The opening on the gaskets Hedman supplied is even more restrictive.

Am I overthinking this? I figured it was worth asking the question before applying the copper spray and bolt the header to the head.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

moneypit77

Loc.
forks, WA
I have never sprayed anything on a header gasket, they look to be just a paper gasket should work fine I prefer the victor nitroseal myself they seem to work good in most of my applications i think they are graphite coated. biggest thing is to get them sealed right the first time i have always just tighten them up and run for a while then retighten them but dont forget the anti seize. as far as the opening in the gasket as long as the holes are not smaller that the opening in the head or the header i wouldnt worry about it

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd be a little concerned about the gasket ports being smaller than the exhuast ports in the head. As that may lead poor performance and gasket failure. Are your heads stock? or have they been ported? mayb e someone went a little hog wild or just had a larger gasket they they used to try and port match. I'd either make the gaskets fit the ports or find some new ones that are a better fit.

I've never used any sealer on header gaskets either.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the 5929 actually looks to have extra wide port openings to accommodate larger ports. It's listed for Dart Windsor heads, so one would think they'd be large enough under normal circumstances. The fact that they're smaller than the header openings too though, does seem a bit odd.

Could you have gotten the wrong gaskets in the package? Number should be stamped into the material somewhere.

Paul

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
You Are Correct

Hi Paul,

Yeah, the 5929 actually looks to have extra wide port openings to accommodate larger ports. It's listed for Dart Windsor heads, so one would think they'd be large enough under normal circumstances. The fact that they're smaller than the header openings too though, does seem a bit odd.

Could you have gotten the wrong gaskets in the package? Number should be stamped into the material somewhere.

Paul

I can't blame the wrong gaskets on packaging... it was my mistake. When I ordered the gaskets from Summit I didn't read all of the notes that applied to the 5929... I found my mistake yesterday morning when I looked in more detail.

I feel pretty fortunate. I found the gaskets locally (actually for quite a bit lower price suprisingly) and Summit will refund my money even though I had opened the 5929 packaging. (Summit has great service, and their prices are generally great... I guess they know that by the steady stream of orders I'll be spending the refund with them soon.)

One of the biggest points of confusion was with sealing the exhaust gasket. A buddy of mine swears by the Permatex copper spray. Several members here on this board recommended against it. Mr. Gasket had nothing on their website that helped. I asked for tech help at both Summit and Mr. Gasket via electronic forms... both responded back that I shouldn't use any type of sealant on the Ultraseal product. That makes things a little easier. (Hopefully if someone searches for an answer to the same question, this post will help.)

I appreciate you taking so much time to look into the the gasket. It's nice to know there are folks like you on this forum who will go out of their way for new members. All the other responses I have received here have been great, too. It's really a great community.

Have a great week!

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi tk1218,

I ended up with the Mr. Gasket 5930 Ultraseal.

I hope to have the headers installed later today, or tomorrow. Comparing the gasket to the paper one that came with the headers, I think it will work just fine.

I'll report back when finished.

Jeff

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
If your gasket is the correct one and it is a smaller opening than the port, then I use several methods of opening up the gasket. Marker or small hammer to indent the gasket, then cut with a razor. Headers warp at the flange, so tighten, heat, and retighten. Check often. The only place I have used copper spray adhesive is on head gaskets.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Jeff, that's great you got it figured out. Sorry it delayed your project though. I know how precious "project-days" can be!

I think the issue with sealants is mostly personal preference, based on either personal experience or word-of-mouth handed down. And the willingness to go against the manufacturer's recommendations is no doubt due at least in part to header gasket's almost legendary status as crappy sealers. Sometimes it's the gasket's fault, sometimes the header design. More often though it's probably due to the bolts loosening up and allowing the first leak to start, then progressing from there.
But that's why some manufacturers have tried many different gasket designs to make it better. Some with success, others not so much.

All the header gaskets that I'm aware of recommend against using any additional sealers, but if you've had trouble with them sealing in the past, I can't think of any reason not to at least try a sealant of some kind to help. Usually the spray-on Copper types seem easiest and most appropriate.
In your case, probably just do what MrGasket says and put them in dry first. If that doesn't work, go to Plan-B.

And like I think was mentioned, make sure to re-torque all the bolts within a short time of running. Probably within the first couple of hours at the most. Then again a few hours later.

Good luck.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have trimmed gaskets larger to match the port before. After I made the gaskets fit the port I used the same gasket to port match the manifold. When I was done the manifolds ran as good as the headers I took off.