• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rattle-Can a Hardtop??

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
Hardtop needs repainting BADLY. However, I am sinking the majority of "bronco funds" on the engine and making it a solid daily driver. Has anyone out there in broncoland used some rattle cans for painting the hardtop?...If so, how many cans, coats, what sort of prep was involved (sanding/priming, etc)....any ideas/guidance is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

MikeM

jsniper06

Loc.
Crowley, La.
I sprayed mine, Sorry dont have any pics yet. I took about 10 cans. I sprayed the inside and out. 10 cans put a little more than two coats. The only prep work I did was new seam sealer in the gutter. I think it came out great. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
mjmcbride1

mjmcbride1

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
jsniper---thanks. You mentioned only the seam sealer for prep work. does that mean you didnt use any primer or basecoat?? . I am not looking for SHOW Quality but somethng somewhat inexpensive, easy and decent looking...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
What color are you going to use. I wouldn't be above a rattle can top on certain Broncos .Mostly those that are going to see plenty of trails. I ran mine through some very tough trees today. Mine is just a half top and it's a Black roll on, but it's also about 7 years old and it lived.. Taco was going crazy with the trees rubbing the top. So I say go for it.

jperry1290

i ve been thinking of using tractor paint on my body and top. check out John Deere Blitz Black

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Gloss white Rustoleum. Has held up very well to trail abuse but I dont store it outdoors

384266678_GYnX3-M.jpg

384266725_BkEeW-M.jpg

394131879_AzvR2-M.jpg

pholcomb

Loc.
Aberdeen sd
jperry1290 i work at jd and we have painted all sorts of things with the blitz black and it works great. It dries very fast though

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
My wife painted ours Wimbledon White, w/ spray cans. Not show quality, but were not going for show anything. It did take a lot more cans than I thought it would. Best thing is knowing that if/when we scratch it, that it can be touched up.

sailors8

Loc.
Unity Maine
jperry1290 i work at jd and we have painted all sorts of things with the blitz black and it works great. It dries very fast though

It does dry fast but I used the john deere paint on my sons jeep and it is very hard and scratch resistant! great stuff for the wheeling world ;D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I bought some Flat Black cans from Home Depot they were called commercial Black and came in larger cans than normal spray cans. It was great paint.. good nozzle.. and went so much further. They might have it in white . Was about 6 bucks a can you want the best you can find.