• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front axle exploded WTF?!?!

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
4450ec73-2877-ad2a.jpg
4450ec73-2888-3061.jpg
4450ec73-2897-6a9b.jpg

U-joint was just replaced, and now this. How?!?! Just a short drive. Either way, I obviously need a new axle (any D44 suggestions). The plastic ring in the hub was all chewed up and the metal ring tore up. Does that ring come with a new axle, or do I need to order separate?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
yeah driveway carnage is pretty normal. Ask BMC.
The ring and internal hub parts do not come with the new axel.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
If you can accidently break it, time for an upgrade...

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Other than inner & outer axle shaft, ujoint & locking hub, what other parts need to be ordered for this repair? Dumb Q#2: I do not need to open diff. to do this repair, do I?

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
No, you just need the in/out axle shaft, ujoint and lock out parts.

Question, who put the "new" ujoints in? Usually if you make a change and some explodes, look at what you did/had done. More than likely the person that changed the ujoint didn't get the clip in correctly and it spit a cap, common prob with internal clip ujoints. Thats why the aftermarket shafts have external clips like a dshaft.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Can't remeber, did we put a locker in that 44?? Sometimes they also break when an axle shaft lets loose. Although in this case, it's probably OK, unless you got on it really hard in 4 on pavement.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, theres a locker in there. Any way to determine if the lockers fine, or should I replace axle & go from there?

You were in 4x4 on pavement?? ...with a locker??? Dave...%)

That metal ring, the seal that goes on it, etc are in the SKF BK-1 bearing kit..all the other vendors use same part number as SKF or can cross that number.

The locker might have survived and might not have...but you might as well replace the axle, cross your fingers and find out because you need an axle in it to test it anyway..short of tearing it all down.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Yeah, theres a locker in there. Any way to determine if the lockers fine, or should I replace axle & go from there?

If it is a lunchbox locker, which I think it might have been, you can possibly remove it (or at least inspect it) without removing the diff/gears (need both axle shafts out though). I'd pull the front cover and at least take a look (for big, or not so big chunks).

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it is a lunchbox locker, which I think it might have been, you can possibly remove it (or at least inspect it) without removing the diff/gears (need both axle shafts out though). I'd pull the front cover and at least take a look (for big, or not so big chunks).

Jim..you built the thing..and I watched ya. Why is it that neither of us remembers exactly what went in it?? LOL...%)

Revelation

Bronco Guru
jalapeño, When on dry pavement/concrete do not try to turn while locked in 4wd with a locker in the front, Bad things happen, but you know this now.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Jim..you built the thing..

I did??? :eek: ;D

I honestly think it was one of those brute force joints (look like one, from the red seal on it). I blew the crap out of several of those on a beater 78 I had with stock 351M, stock gears, auto, and 35 SX's (in the mud too). Needelss to say I run spicers in everything else.

Last edited: