• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Differences in Body between a 1966 and 1968

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
I would like to restore a 66 that has crap for a body but I can get a solid 68 body for the rebuild. Are there many differences between a 66 body and a 68? It want the 66 to be as factory correct as possible.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Doors, hard top lift gate, tail gate, grille, dashboard, and rear bed panel are all different in one way or another. Are you worried about keeping it as a true '66 or being able to bolt the '68 tub on?

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
Doors, hard top lift gate, tail gate, grille, dashboard, and rear bed panel are all different in one way or another. Are you worried about keeping it as a true '66 or being able to bolt the '68 tub on?

Both

I was aware of the doors, hard top lift gate, tail gate but not the dashboard, grille and bed panel.

What is different about these parts (dashboard, grille and rear bed panel)?

Should I be concerned with the tub bolting on?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
The 68 tub will bolt on no problem. Just can't go mixing doors and striker posts. Shocks are mounted different, windshield frame is different and a few more things I've forgotten. But doing a complete body swap, no problem I'm aware of.

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I have a 66 that I am picking up this weekend. PO has a set of beautiful doors off of a 69. Is this going to be more trouble than its worth, and just what will it take to get these doors to fit?

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
The 68 tub will bolt on no problem. Just can't go mixing doors and striker posts. Shocks are mounted different, windshield frame is different and a few more things I've forgotten. But doing a complete body swap, no problem I'm aware of.

What is different about the windshield frame?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
66 had vacuum wipers and the wiper hole location is different. Good thing about the 66, is windshield frame is screw mounted instead of spot welded. BoureeOne: Striker is in different location on door post. Never had to move one, so someone else can advise on that. Plus the window frames are removable on the early doors. (Nice option)

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
The list of differences so far are as follows:
Doors and striker posts
Tailgate
Hard top lift gate
Grille
Dashboard
Window frame
Shock mounts - (not sure how this affects the sheet metal-body)
Rear bed panel

Does anyone know what is different about the rear bed panel on a 66 vs 68?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Grill is only different if you have a very early 66 with "eyebrows". 68's still had vacuum wipers so no difference in windshield frame except maybe the hinge being bolted on in 66 vs spot welds on the 68.

Some other minor differences:

* Hard top bracing around liftgate is different on the 66.
* Hard top ribs are bolted on in 66 and welded in 68.
* Bronco script on front fenders has one less attachement pin on the 66.

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
Are the "eyebrow" grill Broncos more valuable than non-brow? If yes, how much more valuable? 10%, 25%, 50% more??

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Are the "eyebrow" grill Broncos more valuable than non-brow? If yes, how much more valuable? 10%, 25%, 50% more??

They are more of a cool factor than added value. If yours came with eyebrows I would definately try to keep them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hood braces are different (ask those who tried to do gas struts)
fresh air box is different, went from metal to plastic
Bumpers are different, corners are trimmed on the newer
Everything in the door (linkage) is different
Upholostery is different.
Radio antenna may be different

Lot of other little things are really different about a '66.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Both

I was aware of the doors, hard top lift gate, tail gate but not the dashboard, grille and bed panel.

What is different about these parts (dashboard, grille and rear bed panel)?

Should I be concerned with the tub bolting on?

Dashboard is a completely different layout - most notably the size of the speaker. Grille will have the "eyebrow" tooling as mentioned. Rear bed panel on the later years has two indentations to clear the shock mounts. Because the shock mounts were different in '66, a true '66 rear bed won't have these indentations.

Tram

Bronco Guru
Good thread. I'm a new owner of a 1966. Has the "eyebrow" grill. :)