• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 bronco, steering issues

jiggen01

Just bought the truck, the steering is extremely loose, and the power steering pumps squeals when you turn under low rpms, what are some steps to take to get both issues straigt

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Always start with basics.

For the power steering pump start by checking the belt adjustment it could be loose.

Have some one help you by turning the wheel back and forth and check for worn tie rod ends, the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame and don't forget the pit man arm (I have). Wouldn't hurt to look at the track bar bushings at the same time, they can contribute to a front end shake. The rest can cause slop in the steering.

OP
OP
J

jiggen01

So worn bushings in steering components can cause the play in the steering

Trapperbob10

If the C bushings are original, I would also consider replacing these along with radius arm bushings and track bar bushing.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Without a doubt worn bushings in the steering system can cause lots of issues, loose/sloppy feel definitely. If in doubt, replace all of them. As mentioned, have a friend (or anyone willing to help) get in and turn the wheel while you watch how everything underneath reacts. Again, if in doubt, I'd replace all of the bushings and likely the tie rod ends too. Also look under the hood to check the rag joint & u-joint on the shaft, and check how/where the steering box mounts on the frame; loose bolts or cracks around the mounting surface aren't uncommon.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Just a heads up... I also have a 77 that I did a frame off on with all new parts and have spent a couple thousand on my steering and handeling and am still working on making it better.

Does yours have a lift or is it stock height?

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
so no suspension lift?
With a 3 inch body lift the only issue is your rag joint on the steering shaft. Are you using an aftermarket double D steering shaft to deal with the body lift angle or are you using the stock steering shaft with the rag joint bent?

There are allot of things that could be off and you need to check everything to narrow it down. When you turn you steering wheel is there any play before the pitman arm moves?
When the pitman arm moves do the tires also move at the same time?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you need new tie rods you might want to look into a better set-up. For the same $ or a little more you can get much stronger and better steering. Always check the trak bar bushings when the front end starts getting funky. They wear faster than the other components and are an easy fix. I keep a set on the shelf.

rolltider

I bought my first eb in Oct. 2010 had the same issues you r having. Had my steering box rebuilt helped some but the one thing that made a big difference was the trac bar bushings it tightened every thing about 90%. There is a thread on this forum that is excellent for c bushing and radius arm bushings as well took me about 5 1/2 hours start to finish and this was the first time I had ever done this. The oval bushing on the frame side of the trac bar is a real ?itch just be patient and creative.