• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clicking/knocking rearend..........locker?

RivRat

Ok so when I put our automatic bronco in reverse or drive and just barely let off the brake with the wheels slightly turned we hear a knocking sound in the rearend. You can actually see it in the wheels and rear diff. Once you straighten the wheel the knocking stops. Its just when the rear wheels have some type of pressure on them. I was told it could be a locker or limited slip. I've never had a locker so I don't know what they sound like. Any help here.

green67

Loc.
Mesa, Az
A locker will definately click and pop. It will lock and unlock when you are turning or when the two rear tires are trying to turn at different speeds. you can jack up the rear end and rotate the tires. If both tires turn in the same direction there is some type of locker. If they turn in the opposite direction the you diff is open. Try spinning one tire and stopping it suddenly that should lock you diff if you have a mechanical locker.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

They spin in opposite directions. When I stop one wheel the other stops.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's possible that you have an open differential and/or a trashed Trac-Loc. My guess on the sound is a broken ring &/or pinion or the top cover on the Trac-Loc.

OP
OP
RivRat

RivRat

I've jacked up the rear and spun the tire and there was no sound at all. I put it on the ground and turned slightly and let off the brake and the knocking came back.

green67

Loc.
Mesa, Az
Hey just wanted to give you the follow up to this post... I removed the third member and although it looked find I ran it over to the gear shop in Phoenix. What they found was that there was an after market limited slip which had been assembled incorrectly, they took it appart and put it together right and no more noise just a nice limited slip action.