• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering hoses

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
can anybody id this power-steering pump and/or tell me the size of the hose fittings.

Attachments

• 0406111758-00.jpg
    0406111758-00.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 179

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
its a ford pump, usually the fitting is 5/8 at the pump- cant see the box in the pic- stock bronco is also 5/8 if I remember correctly, F100 and 78/79 bronco/f150 box are 1/2

72Sport

Bronco Guru
can anybody id this power-steering pump and/or tell me the size of the hose fittings.

The pump is Ford. The pump was used on most all Fords in the 80's. The fitting at the pump is metric with an o'ring seal. It was used on 86-93 Mustangs for sure. If you have a leak at the pump replace the o ring.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I believe there are actually 2 different fttings the pump could be. Early american compression fitting or late metric O-ring fitting. Change time varied depending on the original application/redesign timing. Generally late 80s I recall.

OP
OP
lasadoor

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
the fitting is loose, and the hoses are showing their age so i'd like to replace them. the napa site showed 3 different designs with 5/8 and 11/16 size fittings. i'm trying to cut down on trips to the store per project.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I have a hose made up to fit that pump. It has had very little use. I don't have any use for it. It was made up custom by a local hose assembly shop. It has the stock Bronco fitting on one end and the o ring fitting like the one you show in your picture. The maximum dia of the threads measure .621". Which means it is about 5/8.

Attachments

• img_0973 (2).jpg
    img_0973 (2).jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 34

bluemonday

Loc.
South Louisiana
I have the same pump and hose set up. At the pump, the fitting on the end of the hose is leaking at the threads but it is tight. Where can I find the o-ring to repair. The part of the hose on the back of the same fitting moves. Is this normal or do I need a new hose with fitting. Where do I buy. I will be sending my steering box off for rebuild and I am tired of the leak. Need to fix. The pump also wines only when I turn. Is this a bad pump because of the winning ???

Bronconaut

Contributor
I just put a ford PS pump on mine from a late 80's F350. The fitting at the pump end is a 3/8" Swivel O-Ring Type I. The original Saginaw gear box uses 7/16 male inverted flare. I could find only one stock application - 78-79 Ford LTD II, Thunderbird - with those fittings.

Evidently other years of that pump have different fittings - i.e. 16mm.

Notice the "swivel" part - the pump connection can swivel 360 degrees and not leak.

BTW - the pump fits the Bronco PS bracket by grinding the opening. Bolt holes line up perfectly.

Bronconaut

Contributor
Whining

My pump is loud - I'm running 33's. Bleeding the air helped tremendously and it's not too bad now.

Bronconaut

Contributor
Yes - I would suggest taking it with you. If you go to the chain stores they'll probably point you to the "help" section to buy a package of assorted size o-rings. If you go to a NAPA or something like that, they'll probably help you find the right one that fits.

The pump fitting being able to swivel so easily made me wonder if it was gonna leak. Been on about 2 months and no problems. Now the lower seal on my steering gear box is another story %). Just put a new seal in today - I may have screwed it up - didn't get it started in straight. We'll see tomorrow.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Feedback

Hi Bronconaut,

Notice the "swivel" part - the pump connection can swivel 360 degrees and not leak.

I am having power steering issues with a '70 Bronco.

One of the first things I noticed was the pressure side fitting at the pump. The pump swivels even when tight, and there is enough flex that you can move the tube around quite a bit in the fitting.

Although it doesn't leak fluid, I am wondering if that fitting could be allowing air into the system.

In case any of you guys are still watching this thread, can you tell me if you're still okay with the free swivel in that fitting/tube?

Also, if anyone knows a part number for the hose, the that the OP wrote about, I would be interested, too.

I have attached a .pdf of the pic I took yesterday. (The arrows and text on it just go back to the free swivel condition.)

Thanks

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_3778 1024x768 Power Steering Hose.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3778 1024x768.JPG
    IMG_3778 1024x768.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 27

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

I thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone could help with a part number, or suggested vehicle application for the power steering hose pic in the OP's first post.

(I can pull mine; but, thought it would be a little easier if I knew what I was looking for should I decide to replace it.)

Thanks

Jeff