• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front locking hub removal

sams95xl

Loc.
SAINT CHARLES
Sorry but I have a 1995 bronco, my fourth one.

Any way, I tried to remove one of the lockers on the front hub of my bronco and 4 of the socket head screws are stripped(from the previous owner) how do I get this of, or get them out? Bust the head some how and remove the screws or what?

Thanks I am new to this and again I am sorry it is a 1995 but the lift goes on soon and it is my real bronco.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
First - how to fix your problem - Drill them out, then once the hub is off you can get vice grips on them.

Second - go to the Big bronco web board, you will find it much more appropriate for your bronco. This board is for 66-77 broncos.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like he gathered this was for the older Broncos, but maybe hadn't found the other full-size sites yet. And besides, we all just look so darn friendly around here! ;D
I think fullsizebronco.com has a good rep going, with quite a few of our members hanging over there too, for their full-size rigs. And I think there's one other very popular Ford truck site, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Otherwise, the Coyote's advice on drilling out is probably your only recourse short of getting out the sledge hammer. Sure, you could break the outer cap off, but that's not the most elegant solution. At least not until you have to anyway.

Once the offending heads are drilled out, and the others are removed along with the cap, like he said, you should be able to grab the remaining screw shanks with Vise-Grips or similar pliers.

Good luck. Hopefully you can do it without the need to bugger the whole cap

Paul

OP
OP
S

sams95xl

Loc.
SAINT CHARLES
sorry you guys are right. I just got another Bronco back, I had a 1977, 1987 and 1989 and this one cam up. Thanks and i will try the other web site.
P.S. I just got new WARN lockers and some more stuff and the local shop said the same thing. Drill.

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good deal Sam. And since you have new hubs anyway, I guess there's not so much need to be careful in the removal of the old stuff. Have at it!

Paul

dave vh

Loc.
Lock haven
try inserting an allen wrench and welding it fast.. then cut it off about an inch long and put a socket on it . works like a charm for me