• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley carb help

bosshoff

Contributor
My 73 White Pig is under construction. It has no dash, but it will move under it's own power. It is obviously not on the road. I had to switch storage buildings, so I fired it up. It has been sitting for a year or so. Last time it ran, it ran OK, but not great. Now, the Holley 670 Truck Avenger carb will only allow the engine to idle. If you apply the throttle, it dies. What is going on, how can I troubleshoot it. Is something stuck, clogged, etc.? I know jack-squat about carbs, be kind.

broncoman805

Loc.
Oxnard, CA
Sitting for a year the gas could go bad. If you don't have alot of gas in the tank add 5 gallons of new gas to it and it should flush the system while running. Use Sabil gas additive when storing for long periods.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably needs a good cleaning best bet is to remove the carb and take it apart and hose it out with carb cleaner. usually if old gas was the issue it wouldnt even idle

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Sounds like accelerator pump isn't working. Look down throat of carb with it not running and you should see it squirt gas as soon as you move the throttle. Same cure, tear down and clean.

OP
OP
bosshoff

bosshoff

Contributor
I have been pretty good about the gas issue. I sealed the tank a couple years ago, and had the truck sitting without the tank installed. Last year I added a couple of gallons of gas. At the end of the summer I added 4-5 gallons of new gas and stabil.
Where is the accelerator pump?

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
I know jack-squat about carbs, be kind
Holleys are great to learn on - so get ready to dig in. The 670 will need some tuning and if you do a search here, you can find the problems unique to it. Work the forum for details. Too much to type for me.

OP
OP
bosshoff

bosshoff

Contributor
I was hoping someone was going to tell me to tap it with the handle of a screw driver, to fix it Fonzi-style.;D I have a feeling it is not going to be something simple/easy. I looked at a bunch of Google/Holley info, and it is out of my comfort zone.

VT_Don

Boss, there are other systems I'd confirm before tearing into a rebuild on a reasonably new carb. I've fired up automobile engines setting over 20 years and aircraft radials that may have sat for over 50 years without addressing the carburetor.
I've seen things as odd as mouse nests in the exhaust pipe and air cleaner. Double check no disconnected vacuum lines, and electric choke operation. Easy enough to check plugs. May be surprised how a little fouling and a weak spark will ruin off idle acceleration. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
bosshoff

bosshoff

Contributor
Thanks VT Don, I will do a thorough once over based on your reminder not to assume anything.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Carbs are easier than you think dont let all you read scare you off. Get a rebuild kit and just follow the directions you'll be suprised at how easy it actually is.