• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing body mounts - Oh Crap!

Docmace

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
Finally got my body lift kit in and started the fun process of removing the old mounts. I got though 6 of the 8 pretty easily and started to get worried. No way was this going to be an easy project. I was due.

While removing the front left mount, both upper and lower mounts started spinning together. After getting them out I realized that after 38 years the frame between the mounts had rusted out. Now, I've got a big hole in the frame mount attachment and no way to install the new ones.

Any ideas? Help? Please!

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    135 KB · Views: 121
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 98

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
I believe some of the top vendors sell parts to help for this very problem-- Toms, JBG, WH, BCB, etc. Do some searching around and I'm sure there's a fix out there.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They usually weld in a big washer there. I am not sure where a guy would purchase one that big of diameter, but I have access to equipment I would turn a set and grind them all flat. Looking at yours I might buy the whole horn and weld it on.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
They usually weld in a big washer there. I am not sure where a guy would purchase one that big of diameter, but I have access to equipment I would turn a set and grind them all flat. Looking at yours I might buy the whole horn and weld it on.

Exactly what I was going to say, find a fastner store and just have it welded in.;D

OP
OP
D

Docmace

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
Can I do the body lift skipping that mount then bring it to a shop to have it repaired? Will that damage the body? As it is now, I have all the mount bolts out and the rig is undriveable. Also, I have no clue how to weld.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They have guys around here that would come to your place and custom weld for you. I am not sure if you have that option where you live, but that is what I would do.

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
Can I do the body lift skipping that mount then bring it to a shop to have it repaired? Will that damage the body? As it is now, I have all the mount bolts out and the rig is undriveable. Also, I have no clue how to weld.

You could take some 1/8" to 1/4" flatbar and make some D-shaped fitted/oversize washers, and place them on the top and bottum of the body mount sandwitched over the rusted hole as a temp fix. That should give enough stability to drive to a fab shop or friend who can fix it right. I would finish putting in the body lift the couple inches clearance should give enough room to weld the body mount.
Jim

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If I were you put in your body lift and leave out those mounts cut some plywood scraps and stack them in there to support the body drill and wire the plywood to whats left of your mounts. Take your new body spacers mounts and hardware and find a welder to fix it. I would fix it by putting a 3/16 steel plate on top and trace around the frame bracket on the outside and cut out this piece a 1/4 in bigger and weld it together on the out side where the metal is still thick. then maybe tack the inside hole in place but the metal will be so rusty and thin there that I doubt you will get much meaningful weld by welding inside the rusted out hole. Then drill down your body holes for your bolts. If you get the steel plate I'll bet you can kanive your local muffler shop to weld this up for you. Just watch out for plastic fuel lines when welding or cutting under there.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Don't forget to take into account the size hole needed for the body mounts with sleeve, and the fact that welding a washer/plate on top of one mount, means it will be higher than the rest of your body mounts.