• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baby Bronco 72, get two more inches!!!

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Well last Jan I had purchased a new set of BFG K2 and took off the 33s. I wasnt planning at the time to go for 35s but the for some reason were cheaper than the 33s:eek: for a two day sale so I said ok;D Well i put them on and was like wow the fit and look cool but kinda knew I couldnt wheel it cause I would rip crap or cut the tires on the body. I said ok I can deal I have a one inch body lift that I planned on putting on cause I was given a free truck with a ZF but last week it was junked without me knowning, whole other story:mad::mad: So I figured i would wait till I had the tranny all ready and maybe a year to save up the extra cash%), well that went out the window at the BYOB last year:p i saw a bunch of guys going over the obstacle course and I wanted to but I didn't want to ruin my body or break anything for being stupid so I watched%) After watching Jays perforamce with his ORANGE BEAST I knew I had to do soemthing soon. So I came home and thought about what i was going to do and Gore was around the corner. I didnt have the $$ to buy another lift and I wasnt really sure the 1 in body would really do it. Well needless to say after getting ready for Gore my column took a crap like two days before and I was pissed and still wanted to go well it got worse I got her flu the night before I was going to leave so that was over. I git in the bronco in the am felt like hell I was sweating with the temps in the 90s and the coloumn crapped out and I turned around pissed but happy to sit in ac. Move foward fixed the coloumn with another from TBPs a week or so before the BYOB fall cruise and there and back with no issues and a great time. Well By then I was still trying to figure out what to do and saw one of our own selling a BC 5.5 lift slighly used and made at deal thanks classic4x4s. Move foward three months later another coloumn and getting over to may house today after its last 3.5 lift cruise I opened up the new used lift.;D I openeds it and realised that I will need u bolts and possibly a axle wedge%) so Im glad I didnt ask to use the comp shop and tear into it. I went under the bronco and PB blasted all the hardware and wire brushed down the rear leaves and sprayed them with my favorite plasti kote bed liner awesome product. I am going to work in the am doing maintaince and maybe start undoing the rear. Will keep ya posted;D;D;D;D;D

Attachments

• 001fsb.jpg
    001fsb.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 954
OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'79 FORD BRONCO

'72 FORD BRONCO

'71 FORD BRONCO

'46 JEEP CJ-2A

Well worked sucked it rained mist till 1 so I scraped paint and came home and it started to clear up so I said WTFN start on this tear down. So I broke out my tools, jacked up the truck took off the wheel and when I was taking off the pass rear I noticed the whole backing plate was moving, NOT COOL. Two of the bolt are stripped and Im guess the holes are elongated I was hoping to salvage the u bolts snice I only put the lift on 3 years ago, nope snap. I wanted to use them on another bronco. The rear shackle and spring bolts came out without a prob untill I came to the front. The nut came off but the bolt will not come out. Im guessing like my friend said it rusted inside and grew in size. I cant get a good shot at it with the hammer to bang it out cause the exhaust is in the way, so it comes down to remove the entire exhaust system or heat the crap out of the ends and melt the poly and replace the bushings, which Im leaning towards. I packed up cause my neice came over and wanted to know what happend to baby bronco? you haft to fix she says!!!!
003.jpg
006.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Well after work my friend stopped over and talked the about my 72 and he checked out my 91 yj thats going up for sale then I attempted to get this dam bolt out. I bead it and heated it one more time no luck. So i figured if I cut the head off I could bang it out from the front, nope. So i heated again and beat the piss out of it and nothing. So I figured I will just burn the bushing out, nope. So I got my cutting wheel up inside and cut both sides and flop two and a half hours later!!!!! Christ I only put the lift in like three years ago, the bolt had swelled inside the metal sleeve. So when i put both lifts back I am NEVER SEIZING the crapp out of it all. Had the new ubolts made at Riverhead brake. My brother in law dropped them off this morn and a friends Gf picked them up for me, sweet didnt even have to wasted two hours of my day!!!!!!!!
002-1.jpg

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Well after the drizzle and fog let up around 1 I went and dropped the driveshaft and the extra I have is a stock:-[ So I will have to get one rebuilt at the least for the GFs 69 and who knows about for me now. I will wait till this is all together and figure which to cut, don't want to do two. Well I tried to get the shackle off on the drivers side, no luck oiled turnd and beat to a extent, dont want to drop the gas tank so I don't have a clear shot on beating it out. My neice was over and running around so i didn't want to break out the cutting wheel and possibly scare her so I quit for the day and had some drink and food;D

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Well three hours later and two cutting wheels I got the rear driverside spring out, still have to get the shackle out. Not a good day, two much crap happend and maybe tomorrow will be better.

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
I am almost ready to put the rear spings on, I have one shackle to cut and there ready. I put the new wedges on the springs today and almost finished up the rear undercoating. I scrapped and wirebushed and its looking good. If it doesnt rain tomorrow, after work I am going to chug on:biggrin
001-2.jpg
004-1.jpg

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Well after being sick:p with the flu that last two days I went at it this morn after I got up. I still don't feel great but I took my time. Got the rear springs in and now off to CT to help my brother move his stuff. Nothing for the weekend but hopefully back at it on monday;D
003-4.jpg

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
;DWell I went out around 9 and started tearing down the front end. I had no probs this time, everthing came apart with ease. I put the new heavy duty lower coil plates from James duff on. Man what quailty campaired to the originals. I had a little prob trying to get the spings in but once I dropped the track bar the went right in. I quit for the day cause we were getting ready to eat for mothers day plus it started to drizzle. I plan on tomorrow or tues after work to fiinsh it up, maybe a couple of hours to double check and tighten up then the road test.

002-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-2.jpg

017-1.jpg

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
After work I worked on getting the top retaining clip on that hold the springs which was a little of a issue but figured a way out to make them go one like a dream after a hour. Tightened up all the bolts I had done yesterday put the heim setup back on, put the wheels on to see how it looks. I still have to install shocks all the way around figure out the trac bar situation, if I need the adjustable which it looks like going to happen and install or modify again my dual stabiliser setup;D
002-6.jpg

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Well afer work I worked on getting it drivable, trac bar went right in and actully lined up better than before. So I didnt have to use the adjustable. The two probelms i ran itno were my dual stabilzer and shocks will not work. The new used shocks that came with the lift are too short and they are old style post, I upgraded to a dual hoop style in the front with sideway bolt pattern. My old set which is only 9 moths old rs 9000 are on but I cant off road cause I only have 3 more inches and I will bottom out the shocks. I have to figure my best option and get the most out of travel out of my suspension. I drove it around for about a hour and it drove great, steering felt a little sensitve but I think its like that cause I have no stablizer and need to check if I messed with my alignment in the process at all.

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Well I finally got going around 11 today and ripped off the rear brakes and did the axle seal and put new brakes back on. I took it for a spin a little while ago and it seemed ok just have to adjust them a little more, one locked up on me. I also put my top back on and covered it with the car cover rain for the next couple of days.:-[
004-3.jpg

005-4.jpg

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
liking the new stance!!! want to hear a report on saturday...

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Thanks, but need shocks Im trying to figure out what route to go. My installed height is 23 in and the shock goes 26 so I cant get much articulation. Any suggestions???

OP
OP
orangecrush4u

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
I just picked up 4 gallons of grey Durabak from my boss, he decided not to use it on the ramps. Lucky me, might try to take out the rugs today. I will have plenty for the GFs bronco and my dads new Jeep.