• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OMG ball joints

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
ok so im out here in my shop trying to install the new ball joints i got from Toms....the bottom ones come with a dust cap and a grease zerk and the have a C-clip with them as well...on the bottom of the ball joint there is of coarse a spot groove for the clip to go in once you press the joints all the way in...ok here is the problem i went and rented a ball joint tool plus i have a 12 ton press...i have both the bottom ones pressed in as far as they can go but the groove on the bottom of the ball joint is not showin where i can put the c-clip in WTF?...are you not supposed to use the clip?..and if not why the f__! is it with the ball joint?...i am using stock style knuckles for drum brakes....please help before i throw something....hell i even put them in the freezer to shrink them

OP
OP
stlo

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
also i have a set of 76 knuckles and i looked at the ball joints on them and they do have the clip installed on them...?...is there a difference in the knuckles? one you have to use the clip and not the other?????.....dont know how pissed off i am rite now....lol...

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I just installed mine and the ball joints don't come far enough into the knuckle to attach the clip. I was told this is common. The ones that came off of it had no clips and they lasted for years.

OP
OP
stlo

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
man you dont know how much i appr. you writing...lol...i thought i was going to pull my hair out...lol...well i guess i can go ahead and put the top ones in now...thanks for the help

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Give Toms a call and confirm that the snap ring can be installed. Too much of this stuff now come from China. They have been good about putting anything that looks correct in the box to sell.

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
I had a local shop press in mine and neither one went far enough in to use the snap ring.
I purchased the made in USA (I think they're spicer) ball joints.
I'm not 100% sure if that's correct but it sounds like there shouldn't be any problems if you can't use the ring.
There's so much force to get those in the knuckles I don't see those popping out easily.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I used Spicer ball joints and they didn't even have the groove for a snap ring on the bottoms. The tops did have the groove and it extended far enough below the top of the knuckle to attach the snap ring. Unfortunately I don't have a set of snap ring pliers big enough to attach them, so I left them off for now. The old ones didn't have snap rings on them, so I think they'll be okay.