• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Taurus fan relay?

Punisher

Contributor
I put a Taurus fan in my bronco with 30 amp relays but the relay for the high setting melted. Do I need a bigger relay or do I have a different problem?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Punisher

Punisher

Contributor
That's what I thought, what size do you think I need?
Thanks for the quick replies.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'd think 60 amp. Make sure your wiring is large enough to handle that current too.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I run a NAPA continuous duty 100 amp relay, they are used in golf carts, had it in my Ramcharger for 4 years, now it is going on the EB. looks like a starter relay.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it would be cheaper to run 2 30amp relays in parallel than to spring for 1 60amp relay. Not only that, if your 30s die, you can get a replacement anywhere, not so with a 60.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
it would be cheaper to run 2 30amp relays in parallel than to spring for 1 60amp relay. Not only that, if your 30s die, you can get a replacement anywhere, not so with a 60.

If one 30 amp relay dies you could have a BBQ.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Easy answer to that is use a 30 amp fuse before the relay. The fan should be fused anyway...

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
If you're worried about the availability of a replacement, carry a spare. The right part is much less likely to fail, and like Viperwolf1 said. Using the wron one can ruin your day.

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
i run a ford taurus fan on my daily driver dodge ram and plan on using the same fan on my bronco. Im using a 2 speed fan controller i purchased at Delta Current control. Highly suggest this route! mine has worked flawless for almoet 4 years now!

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
i run a ford taurus fan on my daily driver dodge ram and plan on using the same fan on my bronco. Im using a 2 speed fan controller i purchased at Delta Current control. Highly suggest this route! mine has worked flawless for almoet 4 years now!

x2 on cost?

as far as running multiple 30's, I woult not do it, I would rather run the fan direct or add a emergency switch to turn on as neede to limp back home, more than likely I will carry a spare, they are around 80 dllrs for the 100 amp from napa.:cool:

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
its like $80 bucks. a little pricey though it's worry and trouble free. Look up delta current controls if your interested.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Has anyone looked at the original Taurus control? I bet Ford didn't use a 60A relay for that fan (though I haven't checked), so it makes me think this fan is pulling too much current. What year was the donor car? I'd like to look it up. In any case, I'd use the donor control circuit if at all possible, including whatever fuse Ford used.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone looked at the original Taurus control? I bet Ford didn't use a 60A relay for that fan (though I haven't checked), so it makes me think this fan is pulling too much current. What year was the donor car? I'd like to look it up. In any case, I'd use the donor control circuit if at all possible, including whatever fuse Ford used.

that's a good point...has anyone seen a 60amp relay in a taurus? How did ford address this?