• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mazama Father/Son Build '66 (copious amounts of bodywork)

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Things are coming together with my '66 project, so I thought I'd finally start a build thread. This Bronco was originally built in the mid 70's by my father. For years, it was a daily driver and toted me to elementary school when I was growing up. It left the family in '93 when it was sold to a guy in Seattle. After driving it for a couple years, the guy parked it and it sat for about 13 years. I recently got it back, and my father (now retired) and I are rebuilding it in my shop in Mazama. Some of you may have seen the photos below before, but I figured I'd post them so anyone interested could see the starting point. There should be good activity on this thread in the upcoming months.

Bronco2.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Rebuilt 5.0 out of a '97 Explorer with rebuilt 4r70w transmission and rebuilt D20.
50.jpg
[/IMG]

We have spent the last few days making assessments that will help us determine our new ride height. We also repaired a few spring hangers and temp'd-in a WH spring pack. Three of the body mounts on the frame are rusted beyond repair and will need to be fixed.

We have extended arms coming. They should be here tomorrow.

FramewithSprings.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
We're installing a 4x4x2 steering box. This is the donor box (with a stubborn pitman arm) out of a 2wd Ford Pickup.

donorsteering.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Removed the old radius arm brackets and installed the new ones. Installed the new extended arms (12 inches longer) and WH spring packs. We flipped the frame over and have started "temping in" the front and rear end. We will be doing some steering mods over the next few days.

Attachments

• old arm brackets.jpg
    old arm brackets.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 237
  • flipping frame.jpg
    flipping frame.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 269
  • new rad brackets.jpg
    new rad brackets.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 264
  • temp suspension.jpg
    temp suspension.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 248

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I love a good Bronco Build thread! keep those pics comming!

OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Got the rear end temporarily set today. Also temporarily set the steering box. Spent most of the day evaluating steering linkages. We are considering a tie rod over steering conversion, which should yield several benefits, including about 2 inches of additional ground clearance.

Attachments

• temp rearend.jpg
    temp rearend.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Temp front.jpg
    Temp front.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 200
  • temp front angle.jpg
    temp front angle.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Old Bronco Guy

My wife, Kurt's mom, just said 'To me it's about romance'. This project is a bit romantic...I built it first in 1979 for her as a 'car' (we didn't own a real 'car' for 14yrs.). We drove it vacationing, to the doctor, what ever for around 15 years..daily. Kurt owned it for a while and sold it to a friend. Regretfully it was allowed to deteriorate but saved by the bell! It came back into the family fold last August and the build is on in earnest now.

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
nice! Glad you got it back and we all are waiting to see your progress.

JDJ

Old Bronco Guy

Kurt is in charge of of creating the 'photo opportunities', he'll post more soon. The 4x4x2 F150 steering box is in. The long radius arms are in and fit perfect. Wish those were around a while back. My '69 F100 was our desert race chase truck and all around PNW Play Day 4x4. Long arms are great. The WH diff. bracket and a few related parts will be in soon...we are in the boonies for sure..then final locating of the tracking arm and off we go to dry fitting power train mounts. This FUN!

OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Repaired four body mount hangers

Attachments

• finished mount.jpg
    finished mount.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 129
  • welded mount.jpg
    welded mount.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Old mount.jpg
    Old mount.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 137
OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Got the 4x4x2 PS installed with a sweet fit.

Attachments

• Steering bolt.jpg
    Steering bolt.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 133
  • S bolt 2.jpg
    S bolt 2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 132
  • S inside bolt.jpg
    S inside bolt.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 139
  • S finished.jpg
    S finished.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 137
OP
OP
kurtboyd

kurtboyd

Contributor
Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
We made some progress today. Still in the mock up stage, but we got the chassis back on the wheels/tires. Got the steering clearances pretty much figured out as well. Had to move the steering box. Going to set the engine in tomorrow and see where we come out with motor mounts and other clearances.

Attachments

• mock up chassis.jpg
    mock up chassis.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 98
  • mock up steering.jpg
    mock up steering.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 91
  • mock steering 2.jpg
    mock steering 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 87
  • mock chassis side.jpg
    mock chassis side.jpg