• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

75 Chevy 4x4 Axels

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Went back to the Junk Yard and got my driver side spindle and backing plate. I also got the axels as people had advised me to do. Is there a real advantage to using the chevy axels? I know the passenger side will have to be cut down and re-splined. My understanding the u-joints are bigger and stronger. My 66 will be a weekend driver. Not off road or crawling. Do I need the axels if I am keeping my Dana 30? Will they fit on Dana 30?

Second question. They also just got in a 91 Ford F150 4WD. The spindles and backing plates are right there for the taking. Pretty sure the spindles wont work, but what about the backing plates? This are really nice, thick, one piece plates. Will the backing plates fit?

Thanks

Attachments

• 75 Chevy Axels.jpg
    75 Chevy Axels.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 11

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Axles won't work on a D30. Wrong splines

The spindle and backing plate off the 91 won't work. starting in '76 Ford went to a unique 5-bolt spindle and backing plate. Won't work on you 6-bolt D30

Quick & Dirty

The outer chevy stub is a little longer to match the longer spindle. This allows you to use the snap ring to retain the hub lock, rather than the bolt and washer commonly used with the swap.

If the u-joint doesn't match your inner axles I don't know if you can use them. The chevy stubs can be used when upgrading the D44 inners to big u-joint style.

Ranchtruck

The u-joints are bigger, and the passenger side axle shaft (the long one) is a lot thicker than the bronco one. The 3.50:1 ratio stock bronco axle shaft is a twig in comparison, it necks way down. The 4:11 ratio axles are supposedly thicker, but still not what the chevy axle is.

The drivers side axle isn't a perfect fit. It needs to be cut down with a grinder or it will bottom out on the spider gear cross shaft in the diff. The bronco shaft is 18 5/16" from the end of the shaft to the centerline of the u-joint. The chevy shaft is 18 1/2", so you need to grind 3/16" off the splined end, and then gently grind the taper back into the end of the spline and wire wheel it to make it smooth enough not to damage the seal when you install it.

The passenger side needs to be cut and re-splined, but it's a much stronger piece than the stock bronco one. If you can get it cut and resplined for cheap, go that way. If not, buying the right length inner with the bigger ujoint aftermarket and swapping the chevy outer onto it is a good option.

Oh, they won't fit in a D30. D44 only.

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Well since it seems like the axels can not be used with a Dana 30 I guess I will sell them. Anyone interested

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Bump this one last time for anyone with a Dana 44 looking for really beefy axels. If not, then off to the scrap yard. I am always interested in trades......

Scott