• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Storm Chasers at my Shop

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
Well after 3 weeks of waiting the Discovery Channels' Tim Samaras and his Storm Chase team finally showed up. Nate and I installed the mounts on his truck for the EWR Dopplar Radar. It's kinda weird having someone follow you around with a video camer, so you just may see my ugly mug on TV.
Steve

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 421

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
that's pretty cool, one of our friends husband is a storm chaser and he will be on the show pretty soon.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Next time I see you I'm gonna need an autograph since you are now a celebrity Steve

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Well after 3 weeks of waiting the Discovery Channels' Tim Samaras and his Storm Chase team finally showed up. Nate and I installed the mounts on his truck for the EWR Dopplar Radar. It's kinda weird having someone follow you around with a video camer, so you just may see my ugly mug on TV.
Steve

Now that is how you take a photo! Obscure the weather/storm/blahblah stuff with an Early Bronco.

Nicely done! :cool:

OP
OP
AWS

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
I told them a half cab bronco with the dopplar would be the way to roll!

OP
OP
AWS

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
Lost alot of good people over the weekend. Only crossed paths with Tim and his crew for a few days, but I don't believe anyone was more passionate about his work.
RIP
Steve

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
These guys were more scientific than many "storm chasers", many of the chasers are just goofballs who want to get close to a storm and get some good pics to sell to NatGeo or Time magazine.
In my "Sheriff'n" days up in Kansas the amateurs used to come through the area driving like a bat out of hell, trying to get to a storm 200 miles away in another state before the storm came and went.
After the "Twister" movie came out it increased 10 fold, everyone with a van and a camera had Twister fever and tried to be storm chasers hoping to catch some video or meteorological data to make a name for themselves.
It was not uncommon to encounter caravans of storm chasers all competing to be the first one to the next tornado, all driving close to 100 mph on 2 lane state highways. And they all felt like they were entitled to break any law and had the mistaken believe that the cops were somehow their allies.
I"m not a meteorologist, but my belief is there aren't too many breakthroughs or revelations to be gained by driving into a tornado. I guess it's due to growing up around them and seeing how mean they are. Death and destruction is part of the tornado experience.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Man, that is too bad! I've been watching those boy since day one of the show! They were doing some good work!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
These guys were more scientific than many "storm chasers", many of the chasers are just goofballs who want to get close to a storm and get some good pics to sell to NatGeo or Time magazine.
In my "Sheriff'n" days up in Kansas the amateurs used to come through the area driving like a bat out of hell, trying to get to a storm 200 miles away in another state before the storm came and went.
After the "Twister" movie came out it increased 10 fold, everyone with a van and a camera had Twister fever and tried to be storm chasers hoping to catch some video or meteorological data to make a name for themselves.
It was not uncommon to encounter caravans of storm chasers all competing to be the first one to the next tornado, all driving close to 100 mph on 2 lane state highways. And they all felt like they were entitled to break any law and had the mistaken believe that the cops were somehow their allies.
I"m not a meteorologist, but my belief is there aren't too many breakthroughs or revelations to be gained by driving into a tornado.
I guess it's due to growing up around them and seeing how mean they are. Death and destruction is part of the tornado experience.

It's still that way in OK, gets worse with next storm. I storm spot for our county EM..........some of the things I've seen people do are more dangerous than the twister itself.