• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame vin location

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'm looking for the vin on the frame on this new 68 I brought home. shouldn't it be on top of the frame on the passenger side? I'm looking back where the firewall is. Am I in the correct spot? Not seeing it

Okbroncoman

Do all bronco's have a vin# on the frame
I have a 66 I can't see mine

How big are the letters?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I looked right at mine body off frame and it's really hard to decipher, I don't think they punched the numbers in very well.

rekoj71

I didn't think I had one either untill I was cleaning off the frame with a wire wheel and I found mine. Even after I got it all cleaned up I could barely read it as it looked to have been stamped on an angle so the tops of the numbers where more visible than the bottoms.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
wet the area where you think it is and you should be able to read it. above the starter. it was not stamped deep so it couldn't be easily seen but was required by law and was referred to as the "hidden vin" so that a thief couldn't locate and change it.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'll do a little cleaning and look again. I am anticipating the need for a vin verification because of a typo on the title so I'm just wanting to have all of my ducks in a row so to speak. Maybe I can get a photo and take that to make things go as smooth as possible.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I always wondered where the VIN was on the frame. Your e-mail prompted me to find it. A couple of minutes with a wire brush and water and there she was...the illusive frame VIN is located! Did you ever find yours?

Attachments

• DSC_1740.jpg
    DSC_1740.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC_1741.jpg
    DSC_1741.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 465

Tuck

I'll do a little cleaning and look again. I am anticipating the need for a vin verification because of a typo on the title so I'm just wanting to have all of my ducks in a row so to speak. Maybe I can get a photo and take that to make things go as smooth as possible.

I had the same problem with me title. The one I had from SC was off by 1 letter, so I had to drag the EB over to the tax office to show them the problem. It had a door sticker, and that's all they looked at, no other questions asked. My title is now correct.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I had the same problem with me title. The one I had from SC was off by 1 letter, so I had to drag the EB over to the tax office to show them the problem. It had a door sticker, and that's all they looked at, no other questions asked. My title is now correct.

I don't appear to have a door sticker on this 68 and I have not been to the DMV yet so I'm not sure I'll need it but I just want to be prepared if they ask for another vin location.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I don't appear to have a door sticker on this 68 and I have not been to the DMV yet so I'm not sure I'll need it but I just want to be prepared if they ask for another vin location.

Yeah, i don't think they started using door stickers until '70 or so. I had a '69 that just had a safety sticker of some sort on the striker location.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Well I had to find my VIN just to see if all three spots matched.Even though I've had this truck a very long time I had never looked at the frame vin.This keept eating at me because I knew there were a few players around here in the 70's and 80's who could chop and crop these trucks and I was close kin to one of them.I said was because he is no longer with us.Thank GOD they all three match.I would hate to think I had been owning a stolen truck for almost 30 yrs and did'nt know it.I know it has some doner parts on it and thats what got me uptight about it.Hear lately with all the talk about legal vin's and stuff. I found it!! It's legal and I'm happy about that. gene:p

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Somebody just recovered a '69 Mustang (or maybe it was a Camaro?) recently, after it had been stolen 25 or 30 years ago! The newest owner thought a few things looked funny and reported it to the cops or DMV or something.
Don't know how they resolved the whole issue, or if they even had to, because the original owner had been paid by the insurance company.
But that was some story.

Paul

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I HATE all of you guys that don't have excessive rust! :p

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I always wondered where the VIN was on the frame. Your e-mail prompted me to find it. A couple of minutes with a wire brush and water and there she was...the illusive frame VIN is located! Did you ever find yours?

I have been so busy getting my emissions in line I have not gotten it cleaned up. I can see that its there, I just need to clean it up. I went to the DMV today and got the plates and title put into my name. I was going to bring up the VIN but I need to get this one on the road so I played dumb and let them issue the title as is for now. At least I can drive it and I will just go back in in a few days and let them fix the "Typo". I'll probably still need a vin varification but at least I can drive it while they get that done.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
On my rail the numbers where cut out with the metal to make room for the 390's headers, which brings me to a question, do you think it is worth it to put the numbers back on the frame somewhere else, I really don't like the idea of not having a secondary number on the frame because the plate is so easy to get rid of. I have heard people say that there can be up to three locations, but I am not real clear on if this is on all bronco's or just some. I can't find the numbers in the other two spots that they could be.

Last edited: