• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

aod

justinkwitt

Hey guys,
I found a AOD from an 86 Tbird 5.0 thats been wrecked. Said it shifted good and car ran/drove well till wrecked. Im gonna go pick it up for 150 tomorrow. Anything to look for on the transmission before I actually get it from him? Any tips would be helpful.

thanks

Justin

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Car AOD? your going to spend some money adapting to a 20

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't get it.

'86 (all pre'88 actually) had oiling issues. That model has just about every bad part ever put into an AOD. Real value is closer to $50, and that is if you have a 2WD car to put it into. Save your money, do some research on transmission (modles, upgrades, what comes in what, etc.) before you spend money.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the only thing good on it is the case, if you wanted to swap 4R70 parts in it and even then you have to have the aa adapter, yada yada yada. aa adapter is about 4-500 bucks.

OP
OP
J

justinkwitt

yeah i understand all that jazz with the adapter. Thats fine. I just dont think that I want to go the Electronic controlled transmission. And from what I understood you can swap the output shaft to the later model one to fix the oiling issue on the old AODs, and I assumed that because you could do this, you could just use the later model kit for the older AOD. Should I then hold out for a 4r70w? are the electronics worth all the extra money?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There are different oiling passages in the case as well. Even then a case isn't worth $150.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
PASS! AOD's aren't that hard to find. I bought mine with the AA adapter already on it with less than 1000 miles on the rebuild, Hughes built, valve body, torque converter, new starter, flex plate, shifter..... for a hair more than what an adapter and core would have been!

I've had mine torn down and an 83' case apart and there's clear differences between them!

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Get is at the Pick A part or Ecology, I paid 100 for mine, got it from a 93 cougar. it was the last year of the AOD on a 5.0 HO, I bought the 4x4 output shaft and housing/adapter to mate to the NP205, A servo and truck governor (to improve the holding of 2nd gear) for 60 dollars on e-bay. I also got a 200 Lincoln town car 4R70w (97 and up are desirable internals) and gutted it to put in the AOD, 100 dlls for this one also. the NP 205 was $150 and made the cross member and side support myself. I have not driven the EB yet, getting closer, but others are using this same set up on this forum.

I did not want the electronics, I had AOD's on my 85 gt stang, 91 t-bird SC, and 91 gt stang. they worked beautifully, and I beat the crap out of them, manually shifting at redline on a daily basis. I had an AODe on my 95 gt stang and it sucked, rebuilt it with performance parts and all new bands, clutch packs, seals and bushings and it worked good for 2 years till I totaled the stang. I stay away from the AODe, the 4R70W is a great trans, I might use it in the future, but wanted to do this lower cost step before hand.