• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI right the 1st time...

CJ who???

Loc.
Banning, Ca...
Well after installing a DUI hei dizzy and longtube headers on my otherwise bonestock 1974 302 engine, it just still didn't have the power that I thought it should so I did a compression test. All cylinders came up around 80-95 PSI. I think that explains the low power issue that I have. It still runs fine, but just gutless. I'm in the research stages and getting real close to pulling the trigger for an EFI upgrade. I've been reading alot of threads on this site and want to make sure I make no mistakes when I start to open up the wallet again. This past weekend was my 1st trip to the junkyard for a donor. What I found was a 93 cougar with a 5.0 HO motor with 88,000 miles. It appears the car impacted a pole and was running until it hit the pole, so I assume that's the only reason it's in the junkyard now. The motor looks pretty clean, and has no sign of bad oil/water leaks, or any other visable problems. The junkyard has a 50% off day coming next weekend so if I get it that day, I can pick it up for probably for around $130.00 complete. I'm also trying to get an Explorer pulley set-up and found a donor at the same junkyard with about half the pulley set-up left on it. Some questions that I have are; The 93 Cougar intake looks a little different then some of the Mustang intakes I've seen. Will the Cougar intake work as well, or should I look for a Mustang intake for the Cougar motor?? I've heard that the RJM harness is set up for the Mustang 5.0 HO and Mustang computer, but can be adapted to other set-ups. Is the Cougar 5.0 HO and computer different, or does it have different style connectors?? I've also read that the Mustang computers are the best choice for the swap. The 93 Cougar computer had a "W3D" listed on it ?? What would be the downfall's of using this computer vs. a Mustang one ?? If it turns out that I don't get this Cougar motor, and go another direction should I just look strictly for a Mustang 5.0 HO and computer ?? I'm not looking for big power or anything exotic, just reliable and simple. What are the pros/cons of the Explorer route. I've been reading alot of good things about the "GT40 (non P) heads and intake, but have read too that there are computer and harness issues with the Explorer 5.0 GT40's ?? I don't mind spending a little more cash to go the Explorer route, especially if it's more power, but I don't know if it's worth the extra cash for the power gains, or if it cost more just because it's newer and harder to find the Explorer V8's ?? Suppose I got this Cougar motor, would an Explorer intake and heads bolt up to the older 88-93 5.0's ?? I don't know if that's a stupid question or not. As you can see, I have lot's of questions and I'm looking for more stuff to read. I've read through the fordfuelinjection.com stuff, and some of the Bronco vendors have alot of really good info as well, but if anybody can post some links, or know of some really good websites that would be helpful, please post them. Meanwhile, I'm going to keep on reading threads on this site. I've learned more on this site in the past month about Bronco's then in the past 15 years of owning one.

Thanks Everybody,

Kenny....

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Duuuuude. Paragraphs! Don't mean to be an azz, but I got tired just looking at that block of text.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I got my engine from a 91-93 cougar, 1/2 day sale at a pull yourself yard, they also had ans explorer that some one took the heads from. I took the intake off teh cougar engine and bolted the explorer one. I wish I would have removed the accessory drive from the explorer also, but ended up getting it later, I also got the AOD from that cougar.

I bought the GT40P heads and header from a guy parting out a 91 stang gt, he also sold me the harness and A9L computer. the heads where rebuilt and had the dual springs already in them.

The Cougar distributor does not have the TFI on it, I had to get it from a Mustang, because it had to have the steel gear for the roller cam. I also kept the cam from the HO cougar engine, I could have bought a E-303 but decided to stay with the stock one. I put in new rings, bearings, seals/gaskets, oil pump, freeze pugs, timing set and am now working on the harness blending into the Bronco.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The cougar setup is the same as the tbird and '94-'95 mustang. You cannot easily swap a '88-'93 mustang ECM into the cougar harness. ECM pinout/harness is different. Most of the other hardware should be the same as early mustang. Either use the cougar ECM and harness together or swap them both for earlier mustang stuff.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
You can use the Cougar motor complete, as is, if you use the Cougar harness and ECM.
You can use the Cougar motor with the Mustang ECM and RJM harness if you change the dizzy, add a BP sensor, and have the TPS and IAB wiring lengthened.
You can use the Cougar motor and add whatever intake you choose Explorer, Mustang, Crown Vic just specify intake when you order the harness.

The front dress is very compact on the Cougar motor and should allow enough clearance for an electric fan if you choose to go that route. As far as I know, you cannot run a mechanical fan on the Cougar/ Tbird front dress.

OP
OP
C

CJ who???

Loc.
Banning, Ca...
OK..... Sorry for kinda rambling on in my post. Just a lot of questions popping up in my head with no real plan cause I really wasn't sure what was needed and what works with what. EFI is all new to me, but I do have a good buddy that did this swap to his Bronco by himself (which it runs great), and I'm going to lean on him quite a bit I'm sure. After spending alot of time researching, I have a plan. Let me know if you guys see any problens with it...

* Pull out 93 Cougar 5.0 HO motor from junkyard 2morrow (88,000 mi)

* Cougar Serp. setup should work in the Bronco, but I plan to switch to Explorer Serp. anyway.

* Pull Cougar upper/lower intake off and switch out to Mustang (89/93) upper/lower

* Pull stock Cougar dizzy, change out to Mustang (89/93) dizzy.

* Use Mustang (89/93) A9L computer

* Use RJM Harness for 89/93 Fox Body Mustang

Questions that I still have are;

* The 93 Cougar came with the same cam as the 93 Cobra and differs from the 89/93Mustang cam. Will I need to change the cam gear on the Mustang dizzy to the Cougar dizzy gear to mate up with the Cougar cam ???

* If I change out the Cougar upper/lower to the Mustang upper/lower, use the Mustang dizzy along with the A9L computer and 89/93 Fox Body RJM harness, are there any other sensors or connections on the 93 Cougar motor that I need to deal with or change out to make a clean somewhat easy EFI swap ???

* Oh, and one more question is the oil pan. Do I use the oil pan from the Cougar, or do I need to swap that to the stock bronco pan ??? Bronco has a 3.5" W.H. lift...

Thanks Everybody....

byson1

Loc.
Nashville
Can't answer all your q's but having done this exact same swap can offer some insight.

I reused the Cougar serp system. I removed the AIR and A/C pumps and found a Mercedes serpentine belt that fit perfectly. Much cheaper alternative IMO than an Explorer set up and very compact.

The oil pan works perfectly as it has an indention in the same spot that would interfere with the axle.

I reused the OE Cougar harness and made it work. Lot's of cutting/splicing but cheaper (and I'm cheap) than buying a new harness and swapping other parts.

Good luck.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The cougar, mustang and Explorer cams are all roller, they will all use the same gear

The cougar should be an external EGR if I remember right, different then the mustnags internal EGR. Not a biggie, just something to be aware of.

As for intakes, not sure what the gain will be going from Cougar to Mustang, I would be looking for the 5.0 Explorer intake (along with the front accessory drive).

Either oil pan will work. I would prefer the Bronco as it doesn't have that little front sump that pours oil all over the steering linkage during an oil change. also holds an extra quart of oil over the mustang. Slight differences in the pickup tube as well, use the pickup tube matched to the pan. Using the Bronco pan you will need to plug the extra dipstick hole in the Cougar block.

What are your plans for a flywheel or flexplate? The original Bronco one won't work, the balance is wrong.

OP
OP
C

CJ who???

Loc.
Banning, Ca...
Thanks for the comments;

We got the Cougar engine pulled and found a complete stock intake from an 89 Lincoln 5.0 HO to replace the Cougar set up. I wanted to change the intake out to the Mustang style intake because the Cougar set up is flatter and wider and can hit the Bronco brake booster. I've also read it's a little more restrictive than the Mustang style intake. We swapped out the Cougar dizzy for a Mustang one and got a BP sensor as well.

I plan to run the stock Bronco pan and oil pump pick up.

As for the flywheel, my buddy says I need to get one from a 1997 F-150 to match the 50 oz. counter weight of the 5.0 crankshaft. I have a NP435 tranny so I'll need to get a clutch linkage bracket for the 5.0 block from WH.

Plan for the next 2 weeks are to; find an Explorer serp. set up, and hopefully an intake as well; start braking down the engine to see if it's in good shape, or needs a freshin up.

A couple of questions that I have;

* What would the benefit be to switch the Mustang upper and lower to an Explorer upper/lower??

* What are the gains of swapping out the stock 5.0 HO heads to the (non P ) GT40's ?? I've read too that you need to swap out the valve springs on the GT40 heads before installing them.

Thanks Everybody....

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I wouldnt swap any heads on that motor...unless you were going to spring for some aftermarket aluminum heads. Otherwise, its just not really worth it. The gains for the GT40s will be minimal. 15-20 HP. The Explorer is great to get as a package...short front dress, GT40 heads, better intakes, HOWEVER, swapping on Explorer parts isnt really a cost effective way to do it for the performance gains you will see. And you will soon wonder why you didnt just hold out for the "right motor" the first time. Run what you bought and see how it works for you. If you decide you need more power, then look for some Explorer intakes and find a deal on some nice aftermarket heads...maybe a cam swap at the same time.

As well, while you have it out, it wouldnt be a bad idea to put a new timing chain on it...not necessary, but just something you wont have to worry about again in a couple of years. Good luck!

John

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
Hey Kin-Kenny, I think post #10 by trailpsycho is good advice. Ive been thinking about it. You are going to have a monster HP gain just changing out the old 302 with the 85lb compression, to the T-Bird engine with the explorer serp that you will get at the 1/2 price sale. The engine is already going to have more than the factory rated HP because no smog stuff on there, real headers, different air filter intake without all the BS.

The cylinders still have crosshatching in them ! Its going to be a good running engine no matter what ! I am a very firm believer in leaving the engine as it is as far as the long block goes. Clean it up and paint it, put the mustang upper intake on it so you dont have to mess with the wiring on the RJM to reach the sensors, put the explorer front on it, and put it in the bronc. The more items you mix and match, the more potential for issues. Thats just my opinion for simplicity and very good running reliability!! Cant ask for more than that ! it is a 1987 flywheel for an f-150, not 97 !!

Last edited: