• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

sterring column

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
Ok I need to know if these pics look right to you. I dont see how the rest of the parts are going to go on. The splined hub for the steering wheel wont fit. I have loosened the column and slid it towards the engine as far as it will go and still no luck. The pic with the measurment is with the turn signal installed. What did i do wrong?

Thanks im

Attachments

• 100_4692.jpg
    100_4692.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_4693.jpg
    100_4693.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
E

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
could it be due to the 2" body lift that i dont have enough of the shaft to work with?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Did you count the spines to confirm it's the correct adaptor or steering wheel? Looking at your pics I'd say that isn't a stock column, there are usually 2 horn contacts, and I don't remember what year it started but most Broncos don't have the flashers switch in the column. Is that the origional column? Maybe it's the body lift, I've got a 1 inch and didn't have that problem.
C-

OP
OP
E

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
The turn signal switch is a 74 from Wild horses. The column might be wrong its a 3 speed column. thought it might work, didn't think the columns were that different in length or anything. guess i was wrong.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
If your hub or steering wheel doesn't match up than you just need to find the correct one. 3 speed shouldn't be a problem.

I had a grant kit that had been mispackaged somewhere prior to me getting my hands on it and had a similar problem years ago.

I just checked the grant website and it should be a kit number 3294. That's for a 74 Ford Bronco, also it looks like there might be some dirt on the spines, clean it, try it again.

I hope this helps.
C-

OP
OP
E

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
its not that i cant get it to spline but they dont go down that far. I figured it would go a little bit further down the shaft than it does.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
IF I remember correctly there's a spring between the bearing and the adapator and it is a very close fit meaning when the nut is on there is NOT alot of extra threads exposed.
C-

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Looking at mine & looking at yours they both look the same. You might have the adapter, what part number is it ? (3294 or 3285).

With my adapter on there's about a 1/2" of threads showing.

OP
OP
E

elkarcher

Bronco Guru
I ordered the 3294 tonight so i will get it tommorrow. These are just spare parts i had in the box. I will have the right ones tomorrow. I have the adapter and that about what i have left for threads. Just thought there would be more.