• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone know if this is a 4R70W trans

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thx, yeah just confirmed the I.d. Tag on google. Think $475 is a fair price?

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah she probably doesn't know. Bought it from a place in phoenix called elite auto parts. She paid $515.

There's also a 97 for sale, remind me why I should steer clear of the 97 auto trans?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Consider it a 'core' sense it's basically an 'unknown' trans. Pick and pull tranmissions generally go for $160 in AZ, add $40 for the torque converter, maybe another hundred for convenience

I bought a 97' 4R for $75 a couple of years ago, it only has 7500 miles on it! Maybe I'll get around to using it someday%)

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
Consider it a 'core' sense it's basically an 'unknown' trans. Pick and pull tranmissions generally go for $160 in AZ, add $40 for the torque converter, maybe another hundred for convenience

I bought a 97' 4R for $75 a couple of years ago, it only has 7500 miles on it! Maybe I'll get around to using it someday%)

If you dont, I know one little boy who would love to take it off of your hands... ;D

OP
OP
Monster Mike

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Can anyone tell me if the 4r is any different from a 97 vs a 98?

There's a 97 for sale & I can buy the whole thing for a grand. Then not only would I have a 4r but I would also have the serpentine setup, upper manifold maybe, some other things I'm possibly forgetting then part out the rest

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can anyone tell me if the 4r is any different from a 97 vs a 98?

There's a 97 for sale & I can buy the whole thing for a grand. Then not only would I have a 4r but I would also have the serpentine setup, upper manifold maybe, some other things I'm possibly forgetting then part out the rest

I believed that they changed some wiring around and the pin outs are different. I believe the internals are the same. I saw something about a different type of speed sensor.