• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kentrol Fiberglass top install??

jasonv

Anybody have a Kentrol fiberglass top? I have one that has been waiting for install for the last 20 years and I have some questions. I talked to the Kentrol guys but wanted some more detail.

Thanks,
Jason

Nelson

Loc.
Sulphur, LA
I am in the same corner right now, I have been laying fiberglass for the past couple of days in order to close up all the openings on the inside of the top. I have also layed glass on the bedrail area and around the side windows in order to strengthen these areas as they were thin. All this after two weeks just fitting the liftgate. All in all it is coming together.

OP
OP
J

jasonv

is your top new or been sitting around like mine? I am curious about the rear posts that the stock steel tops have between the body and the top, does the Kentrol use those? There are no slots for it but that is easily fixed if needed. It doesn't seem like they do as there are metal nuts on the inside of the fiberglass where the bottom of the rear windows supports mount.

I have alignment issues and there doesn't seem to be anything to key off of for placement of the top.

Jason

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I have an older Kentrol top as well... I found that there was a very poor fit on the liftgate.
In order to get the gaps to appear somewhat close I had to add about 1/4" fiberglass possibly more to the left side to make the gaps appear even.
Other than than, just some filler to get rid of some of the waves. I still have not painted it entirely.
I had fiberglass doors, I removed the window frame rails added steel, I made sure that they matched the top when installing.

Only recently I removed the glass top, I have a soft top now. Keeping the glass top just in case I want to switch back. Before ever putting it back on I will make sure the paint is complete. I did not use or try to use the rear posts however I do not see any reason why you could not.

I used the gaskets for hole locations, drilled the top. Since my body was fiberglass I also had to drill all new holes in the body. I would work from the door frames, if you can't get that to match you may have to do some glass work there as well. I am glad not to be working with fiberglass, not fun, and very messy ;)

-Ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I am in the same corner right now, I have been laying fiberglass for the past couple of days in order to close up all the openings on the inside of the top. I have also layed glass on the bedrail area and around the side windows in order to strengthen these areas as they were thin. All this after two weeks just fitting the liftgate. All in all it is coming together.

Good idea, I found that the left side window bows out a bit... That should help.

Nelson

Loc.
Sulphur, LA
Jason, my top is 3 years old and does not have the stake pockets in the top so I welded up the top of the bedrail stake pockets. My top fit the bronco very will as excpt for the drivers door opening is 3/16" taller than passengers side. To fix this I used a 3/4"X3/4"x1/16" aluminum angle and trimmed to fit the seal in the proper place for sealing the door frame. Make sure you have all the top gaskets for proper alingment and fitting of the top to body. I used a quality gutter sealant under the aluminum algle and pop riveted to the top with a 1/2" gap between the door frame and the angle.

I had to do extensive work on the liftgate to get it to fit flush and square. I had to cut the backing plate out of the top on the right hinge and trim 1/8" off and reglass it back in the top. Then I welded all the holes on one side of both hinges and moved them 1/8" outboard in order for the liftgate to fit flush with the sides of the top.

The holes for the latches were to small and had to be enlarged so, I built a corner SS cover plate that wraps around the latch on each corner of the liftagte and acts as a wear guard to protect the fiberglass from wear and reenforces the corners.

A mentioned in my earlier post I have layed a lot of glass to reenforce and give finished look to the top. Hope this helps.

Nelson