• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w help

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
I am getting ready to do the explorer swap and have trans ?'s. I have a c4 that I was going to put behind the 5.0 because I have the adapter already but was now thinking of selling the c4 and using the 4r70.
The donner explorer is a 2wd is that going to be a problem.
What adapter is better or can I use aod or ZF.
I have been reading up on the twin stick post also as I have a J shift. Does that make a difference on the adapter.
Anything else I have to have to run this tranny.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
4r70w will require a adaptor so it should not need to be a 4x4 transmission as you have to take it apart to put a shaft in.

4r70w adaptor allows only a t shift.. it think. The zf does not have a alotment for it. JBfab is building a twin for J-shift using the combo now and I believe it is in mock up stage still the last I heard.

you will need some kind of way to control the transmission as it is computer controled.. bauman controler

i have not done this myself, nor pretend to be a expert I am pretty close I think on this info, someone will chime in soon. there have been some recent thread on this you may want to search a bit and read the tech article on the side if you have not already.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since you are starting with a 2WD, the AA (late AOD to D20 adaptor) will probably be better for you.

The ZF adaptor will require that you first convert the 4R70W from 2WD to 4WD with a new tailshaft and tailhousing (used stock parts from a 4WD transmission). then after doing that conversion then use another adaptor to (the ZF adaptor) to further adapt it to the D20. The ZF adaptor is the quick and easy way to do the job that doesn't require taking the transmission apart providing you start with a 4WD transmission.

Since you already have to do a tear down to swap output shafts, the AA kit is my choice for this instance.

OP
OP
burntfish

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
Thanks guys. I have read up on this and have seen the thread for the jbfab twin. I just could not get a straight answer on what adapter.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Is this what you are looking for?
this is our EB20J-AOD it is for the AA tailhousing.

Jon

Attachments

• P3270640w.jpg
    P3270640w.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 27