• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos Throttle Cable Installation Help

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
So I've got all the old linkage out and am attempting to get the new stuff installed. Looking at the "instruction" sheet that came in the kit, the mounting bracket is completely different and I also do not have the referenced "kick-down cable" that's shown in the instructions. Does anyone have a pic of how they installed this?

I called BC and their "Tech Guy" isn't available until tomorrow "and there is no one else in the company that can answer my question."

Thanks.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Sandwitch those wedges onto the firewall bolt the bracket to the intake and run the cable without any sharp turns... adjust it so you get closed to WOT with you foot. May need a friend to help. I don't have an aut0 trans so I can't help much on the adjustment of the other cable.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
If you have the "new improved" version, you may have to leave the washers off, I was only able to get the 2 nuts and the wedges on throught the firewall and if your 1/2" wrench doesn't work try a 13MM on the nuts????%)%)%)

The "tech" guy will tell you that "it will work if properly installed"!!!;D;D

tinytim02

If you have the "new improved" version, you may have to leave the washers off, I was only able to get the 2 nuts and the wedges on throught the firewall

x2

I just finished up this install on Sunday. The included instructions weren't very helpful. It does work really nice once you get it installed.

tinytim02

Here's a few pics of my install. The return spring is just a temporary setup. I had to get a longer carb stud for the bracket (2.75"). I could not get the nut fully on with the original carb stud.

Attachments

• PICT0136.jpg
    PICT0136.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 378
  • PICT0137.jpg
    PICT0137.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 374
OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Perfect, thanks. Got it I stalled but think the pedal is a bit high. Guess there is no going back since I cut the cable:)

Last edited:

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
The old one's, like I ordered off the internet from BC, had an inch of adjustment on both ends. The "new and inproved" version has virtually no adjustment. They updated the website pics about a month after I ordered mine.%)%)%)

This is the old style pic from their website.

Attachments

• RETURN%20SPRING%20INSTALLED%20WEB.jpg
    RETURN%20SPRING%20INSTALLED%20WEB.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 283
  • kickdown%20cable%20installed%20web.jpg
    kickdown%20cable%20installed%20web.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 272
OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Great pictures guys, thanks. Yea, my pedal is too high and there is no adjustment. Just I'll look for some of that cable at Ace.

For guys that don't have the kick-down....where do you put the return spring? I have mine in the stock location but the PO had it connected to the same bulb the throttle cable connects to and it's etching itself into the metal there.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
If you have the "new improved" version, you may have to leave the washers off, I was only able to get the 2 nuts and the wedges on throught the firewall and if your 1/2" wrench doesn't work try a 13MM on the nuts????%)%)%)

This was good advice...there was no way it would have fit with those washers on there. Thanks!

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
Hey guys..helpful tips..this is going to be my Bronco project for the the weekend..was scoping out my path to success tonight and couldn't figure out how i was going to take the throttle rod off the pedal assembly. It looks to me like a rivet (which would suck, cause i'd have to grind it off in tight quarters)...How did you take off the assembly..Please tell me there is an easier way than grinding/drilling the rivet??

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Just pop the rod off the other side. Take the 2 screws off the bracket to remove the boot and follow the directions.

gerg

Wondering what is the advantage of the cable throttle over the stock setup?

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
Just pop the rod off the other side. Take the 2 screws off the bracket to remove the boot and follow the directions.

I hear ya on popping off the rod and removing the bracket..but that still leaves me with an accelerator pedal attached to the throttle rod via this connector/rivet and no hole to attach the cable to...which would mean i would have to take off the accelerator pedal assembly and drill out the rivet...people with this setup have to have run into this correct?? Am I just not seeing this clearly

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
Swapped this out over the weekend..fairly simple install..I'm a knucklehead for thinking the screw at the end of the cable needed to go through the accelerator pedal (when i could just use the ball connector already attached)..In any case, got everything operational in under an hour, then troubleshot for another hour wondering why the gas pedal was REALLY TOUGH to press down...ended up being the kickdown (TV) cable that seized..detached it from throttle linkage and the gas pedal is super smooth. Ordered the kickdown cable for my AOD and will install when received..

Funny how one mod can lead to several!!

PS...My truck drives horrible without that kickdown (TV) cable...shifts very sloppy, shifts to 3rd WAY too soon...probably shouldn't be driving it like this, but oh well...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
PS...My truck drives horrible without that kickdown (TV) cable...shifts very sloppy, shifts to 3rd WAY too soon...probably shouldn't be driving it like this, but oh well...

AOD? No you shouldn't drive it like that and I can promise you won't for long.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Yeah you will quickly kill an AOD w/a TV cable! It's not like a C-4 or C-6. The AOD has to have the TV cable hooked up. Don't drive it! Also don't just throw the new TV cable on and set it to wide opent throttle. They are very particular on the pressure settings for shifting correctly. Get a pressure gauge and TV tool. The tool will come w/the LOKAR cable.

Swapped this out over the weekend..fairly simple install..I'm a knucklehead for thinking the screw at the end of the cable needed to go through the accelerator pedal (when i could just use the ball connector already attached)..In any case, got everything operational in under an hour, then troubleshot for another hour wondering why the gas pedal was REALLY TOUGH to press down...ended up being the kickdown (TV) cable that seized..detached it from throttle linkage and the gas pedal is super smooth. Ordered the kickdown cable for my AOD and will install when received..

Funny how one mod can lead to several!!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The stock setup has that bracket which mounts to the firewall which translates the pedal up down to a push pull for the carb, adding play into the system. The cable is a one shot no play once adjusted setup. I loved the 66 6 cyl because it had a cable from the factory, way back when.