• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

i need help!

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
ok, my mustang broke down, (once again the painless harness has screwed me)

it broke down in the middle of the road with no sholder, so i had to push it into a area where the city has marked off with sine's of DO NOT PARK WILL BE TOWED!!!!

but i had no choice, my ballast resistor burned up so no spark, i tryed to bypass it but it keeps blowing the fuse. i tryed to put power to the coil but almost melted the wire! i had to walk 3 miles back to my gf's house and my phone's screen is shatterd and my gf wont be home for a few more hours and i need to get home to take care of the dog's!

how do i wire this pig so it will run???????????????

it's a 289 points setup

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
im worried for the mustang, when i was fiddeling with it lot's of kids where screaming NICE MUSTANG, I LOVE YOUR CAR, BUY A CHEV

IT'S NOT FORDS FALT! IT'S THIS $900 POS WIRING HARNESS!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can hookup a wire between the battery and the coil but the wire needs to be pretty heavy. It'll try to melt right away if the points are closed. bump the engine until the points are open. You'll know when the points are open because there'll be no spark when you attach the wire. Do that then fire it up and drive. You'll need to pull the wire off to kill it.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Ah, ok. I tried that but the wire was pretty thin and started smoking. I have a spark test light and it was not very bright. My good ole holly is leaking again too. Time to say goodbye to the mustang I think

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you might have something else wrong possibly a bad condensor or the coil itself has shorted out. I've run several engines with just a 12 or 14 guage wire going straight to the coil by passing the resistor have yet to smoke the wire.

JLBachs

X2 on the short - give yourself a cooldown time after it's fixed before you sell it. I've sold two 60's mustangs and when you hear the exhaust headed down the road you realize what you just did.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
True words those.
And sure they paint a sad picture.

Paul

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
i got most of the parts to do the swap.

just this is my DD and i cant have it be doing this.

i went throught two coil's, points, and two ballast resistor's, but i got it home.

lot's of day's i love driving it, and other's i cant stand it!