• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Air Intake Hose and Filter

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
What air intake and filter are you 5.0 guys using. I figured the vendors would have something whipped up but I can't find anything.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I just went on K&N's website and found one with the dimensions I needed. I originally ordered on for a 91 Mustang but it was way too long.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Also, I just got a 3 inch piece of intake hose from autozone to connect the MAF to the intake then just attached the filter right on to the MAF

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I found some big rubber plumbing joints at the hardware store that matched the throttle body and MAF.
I have a K&N RU-3130 you can have for price of postage. It has a 3.5" flange diameter. Not sure if that will fit the stock MAF sensor.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I used a Thunderbird 5.0 intake hose. It fits Broncos better than the Mustang one. I will try to post the K&n filter mumber I went with.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I use an AEM filter, ts dry unlike a K&N ,the oil can contaminate a MAF sensor.

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
Thanks for all the tips guys... Isn't there a sensor(IAT?) that needs to go in the tube somewhere?

Thanks for the offer gddyap. I think the stock MAF is 3" but I still may take you up on that offer and just use an adapter of some sort.

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
Ok cool... I'll check into that. Hey Gddyap, you mentioned using plumbing joints, did you have to make up a bung for your ACT or did yours mount to your lower intake?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I tapped my Explorer lower intake. I also run the AEM Dry-FLow air filter. Its been a good piece.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I moved my battery to the driver's side and used the complete Explorer airbox/ filter.

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
Not a bad idea Pedestrian. Might have to go check my local junkyard and see if I can track down an old Explorer.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Handy though for the occasional flash flooding or for trips to the west side of Oregon.