• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tracking help- centering the axle

Bundy

Bronco Guru
After doing the TRO conversion I installed my new WH adjustable trac bar and after messing with it and adjusting many timesI am still off center at ride height- I'm just wondering how much is common or okay.

It's a 4.5" lift, no shocks yet but I appear to be about an inch to the passenger side.

I don't have many more threads left on the trac bar, but before I go on I thought I would ask.

Attachments

• Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Pass.jpg
    Pass.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Drivers offset.jpg
    Drivers offset.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 50
  • pass offset.jpg
    pass offset.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 50
  • TracBarThreads.jpg
    TracBarThreads.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 57

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
First off, dont use the body as a measure reference. they are not always square to the frame.mine is 3/4" off. when centering the axle, cross measure. right outside or inside of frame to left knucke, then left frame to right kluckle. use the same respective spots on each side. figure out the difference from there.

also check the angles of trac bar and drag link. they should be as close to the same as possible. you might have to remove your trac bar lowering bracket on the frame.

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
It should be the same on both sides ..... You trac-bar looks to be to long . Is it the wright t-bar for your lift ? and I see a drop bracket as well , was it put on at the same time or was it already on the truck ? are the drop brackets needed when you have a adjustable T-bar ?

I have 7.5" of lift on my bronco and with the drop-bracked and a diff riser bracket (I made them Myself) I'm still running the stock trac-bar .

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
The drop bracket was on there from the PO when it had an ancient rancho 3.5" lift... I've kind of learned that if I possible, I avoid touching anything on my EB I don't need to so I left it on and the trac bar and drag link are almost dead nuts so I didn't see the point in messing with it.

However, I can see that if I cant get it centered, that drop bracket needs to come off. Is the other bolt in the drop bracket the stock location? That would give me alot more room to play.

The new lift is WH 4.5 coils and it's their trac bar riser and adjustable trac bar.

(PS 73Stallion told me to remove the drop bracket and I didn't... yes, you are right again Ben!)

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
TBS POPS is right body doesn't matter. Measure from the same place on each side of the frame and check to see that the rods are parallel, or you will have bump steer.

My is not exact side to side but the rods are parallel. Obviously you move it from side to side by making it longer or shorter, but if the rods are not parallel you increase your chnces for bumpsteer.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So Bundy, if your rods are pretty parallel right now, and you're using both a riser and a drop bracket, are you also running your tie-rod over?
I can't imagine they'd be near the same angles any other way, unless you're running an F150 box inside the frame rail, or you've got one heck of a dropped pitman arm!

But yeah, using both would sure do it. But the comment about the wrong trackbar is not out of left field either. You might take a measurement and call on Tuesday to make sure it's correct. I don't think a bar for a full-size Bronco would fit your setup normally, but if it was made wrong, that could give you fits when you're trying to adjust.

Really though, it's probably just that you're using one too many brackets.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe a quick pic of the front linkage would be of interest as well? I know I'd like to see how it's set up.

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nevermind on the TRO question. I forgot we were talking about that in another thread.

Paul

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Paul, I ended up removing the trac bar drop bracket and it gave me much more room to adjust the trac bar and center the axle- I got it over about an inch and from the three measurements I took, it appears centered (a lot more than before anyway!).

The drag link and trac bar are not as parallel as they were with the drop bracket on, but it's still damn close.

thanks to everyone for their input!