• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starter fell out ..How to reinstall

HOJO

Loc.
Cedar Bluff, VA
MY starter fell out because the PO didnt put both bolts back it ....
Now how in the seven hells do you get it back it I cant get to the top bolt
to get it started

JMurray

Long extension, 2' or more for the top bolt. Easiest for me.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
you can also upgrade the starter to a newer high torque starter, out of a mustang 5.0, it will give you all the room you need, or an extension., removing the header is another way but more is involved than what may not be necessary.

VT_Don

If you're unable to make repairs as basic as replacing a starter even after referencing a repair manual, may want to consider another hobby. Otherwise, you're looking at a lot of frustration.

OP
OP
HOJO

HOJO

Loc.
Cedar Bluff, VA
VT_DON,

I am capable of making basic repairs and referencing a manual..I was refering to the tight little space that the starter fits into and doesnt leave much room for your hand to get the bolts started, Further more I though the purpose for this forum was to ask questions and get help from other EB owners who might have had similar problems , or advice to give...I am not new to working on vehicles, wheeling or fabrication. And I stoped going to pirate 4x4 years ago because of comments like this ....I guess some people just woke up one day and knew everything about everything

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Me again. About header removal. Another missed short cut. Add a couple of small washers inside your socket (keeps the bolt at the correct position) and add some tape to the bolt head to keep it tight in the socket.
And on your next post try not to be so vague. We are here to help!!!!
i.e. my drive shaft fell out what do I do? Peace Mahalo and I hope to see you on the trail, and we all want to see pics of your rig. ;)

BigPrince

Loc.
Atlanta
I removed the header to replace mine last week. I would suggest to ensure your exhaust/header is lined up again when putting the header back on before screwing it in. I put mine in and didn't realize the exhaust wiggled to a spot that I had to take the header off again before it would line up.

OP
OP
HOJO

HOJO

Loc.
Cedar Bluff, VA
Thanks I will make sure I am perfectly clear as I can Be my next Thread...And thanks for the tip on the header.....and The washers and tape Ill try that next ......

Lee

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
A 1/4" drive socket and extension will fit easier at least it works well for me. There are some with a magnet built in to hold the bolt and some plastic inserts with a small magnet that can be put in sockets that may help also. I use something with more leverage after I snug the bolt down with the little wrench. My headers do not interfear with removing or replacing the starter as the tubes go over it. Also I start the bottom bolt first but dont tighten it all the way till the top bolt is started. I let the starter sag a little on the bottombolt to gain some room.

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
hmm me too,?:? maybe shampoo was just confused;D

Did you and explorer work on the shampoo part together? Or are you just that good? Don't worry I can't wait for the perfect timing on Stupidboy. :cool:

patterdale

Bronco Guru
If you lay under the eb and get the bottoom bolt started you can fit your hand up from the rear and get the top bolt started no problem. It is done by "feel". I have pretty big fat hands and had no problem this weekend doing just this operation because I went to replace my battery cables and broke the terminal bolt on the starter getting the cable off. Keep in mind though I don't have headers so it might be more difficult with them. Once I get the bolt started and tight as I can by hand I then use a 6-8 inch extension and a U-joint from the top to tighten it up. When I replace the starter it will be with one of the new high torque minis I hear about.

BOSSHOSS74

Loc.
Menifee, Ca
VT_DON,

Further more I though the purpose for this forum was to ask questions and get help from other EB owners who might have had similar problems , or advice to give...I am not new to working on vehicles, wheeling or fabrication. And I stoped going to pirate 4x4 years ago because of comments like this ....I guess some people just woke up one day and knew everything about everything

Well said, I have one bronco restoration under my belt and have forgot a lot since then, I come to this site to get answers to some of my questions that may seem simple to some people. Comments like that are upsetting to me, if you don't have anything positive to add to the post then why say anything at all? Looks like its not the first time, other quality posts are "use the search function"
"Use the search function and people might take you seriously" "buy a banner if you want to advertise on this site".... And he's been called out on it before. Sorry had to chime in here, it bugs me..... Damn I wish I was perfect like him

Tuck

If you have a telescoping bolt recovery magnet, you can actually use it to start a bolt you can't get to easily (as long as it's not a tight fit that requires a lot of pressure). They work great.

shamu

Loc.
Sachse,Tx
MY starter fell out because the PO didnt put both bolts back it ....
Now how in the seven hells do you get it back it I cant get to the top bolt
to get it started

Do us all a favor and tell us how you finally got your starter bolted down. And what headers that you have. (4 tubes all connected) (4 tubes with the pivot on the collector) . Later Damon Hopper aka Shamu or my new given name Shampoo. LOL ;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Did you and explorer work on the shampoo part together? Or are you just that good? Don't worry I can't wait for the perfect timing on Stupidboy. :cool:

yes i am that good lol, looking forward to the the stupidboy race.;D you know i was just messin with ya;)