• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bell Crank/Throttle Linkage

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I need to get my truck running ASAP. I will go with the cable next week, but for now I need to hook up the original bell crank linkage. Does anyone have a picture of this setup that they could post or send?

I want to set this up correctly so I can at least enjoy my Bronco for the time being. The PS, disc brakes and engine swap are done, now all I have left to get it going it to bleed the brakes and get this linkage set up so I can get into the alignment shop in the morning. I am getting anxious! Please?!? %)

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a few more pivot points on mine about where I boxed it in RED. This engine is out of a 1969 Bronco if that helps. I just want to get the truck going so I can make an appointment at the alignment shop ASAP tomorrow. I don't have it here at home or I would take pics of what I am referring to.

Attachments

• bell crank pic.jpg
    bell crank pic.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 55

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
For the time being, you can run a piece of coat hanger between the bell crank and the throttle arm of the carb. Not ideal, but it works. I know because I did it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't have a pic handy, but I'll see if I can find one. In a pinch though, you can use just the part in the image and run a rod straight to the carburetor's actuating lever.
Yes, to do that you'll have to fab up some kind of a longer rod, so if you have all the other parts it's probably easier to just wait for a diagram and hook it up the original way.
It's just "simpler" the other way.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Ford eliminated the added bell-crank aspect of it and went straight on the last year or two of production. We talked about it just recently at a get-together in fact, and I'm pretty sure that there weren't even any holes in the firewall for the stabilizer bracket for the bell-crank.

Is your manifold stock? Most aftermarket Ford manifolds do have the bosses drilled and tapped for the pivot bracket, but I think I've seen some that weren't, so I thought I'd ask.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a Holley 650 4 barrel and a high rise manifold off the old motor in very nice (almost new) condition. I also have a newly rebuilt set of GT40 heads that I am picking up tomorrow. I have to convince myself that gas is going down in order to slap that Holley back on!

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't have a pic handy, but I'll see if I can find one. In a pinch though, you can use just the part in the image and run a rod straight to the carburetor's actuating lever.
Yes, to do that you'll have to fab up some kind of a longer rod, so if you have all the other parts it's probably easier to just wait for a diagram and hook it up the original way.
It's just "simpler" the other way.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Ford eliminated the added bell-crank aspect of it and went straight on the last year or two of production. We talked about it just recently at a get-together in fact, and I'm pretty sure that there weren't even any holes in the firewall for the stabilizer bracket for the bell-crank.

Is your manifold stock? Most aftermarket Ford manifolds do have the bosses drilled and tapped for the pivot bracket, but I think I've seen some that weren't, so I thought I'd ask.

Good luck.

Paul

This is a 1969 Bronco engine with 70,000 original miles that was torn down and rebuilt. Yes it has the extra bracket on the manifold (right now). I guess we could figure something out to connect the two together. I am just really anxious to drive my Bronco right now. The last 3 weeks especially I keep think that this is going to be "the week" she finally is ready! I am so close I can hear those new 33" tires turning already! Yeah...that's a BIG reason why I did the PS conversion I have waitied too long for!

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
Here's what I ended up with. Sorry for the crappy picture. I eliminated the extra linkage. I had someone weld an extension to the arm and ran the coat hanger mentioned earlier until they got it done.

Attachments

• Bell Crank.jpg
    Bell Crank.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 72