• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2nd gen bronco worth having?

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I have access to a 79 Bronco with the 400m and C6 I believe. Would any of it's drivetrain, front or rear end be worth getting for an EB? Not interested in the 400m unless they sell for anything besides boat anchors. Has nice wheels / tires too. It does have some rust. Thoughts?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Buy it, build it, and keep it in the garage next to your EB. I'd love to have the time/money/space for a second generation Bronco.

OP
OP
Ourobos

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
By bud paid $7500 for it 3 years ago, and it was cherry.. BUT whoever fixed it, bondo'd over rust, and now it's showing.. But it's a nice rig, I can get it for $1000. Might be one to put on the trails or pull the boat. Such a deal, I will probably have to snag it regardless.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
By bud paid $7500 for it 3 years ago, and it was cherry.. BUT whoever fixed it, bondo'd over rust, and now it's showing.. But it's a nice rig, I can get it for $1000. Might be one to put on the trails or pull the boat. Such a deal, I will probably have to snag it regardless.

I have been looking for the right 78-79 for a while. Post some photos, I want to see what $1000 will get you. I have found lots of "Pretty good but needs work" ones for $2000.

69for5

Loc.
Olive Branch
Nice wheels and tires alone are worth 1000 bucks.......I say do it! 2nd gens are a beast of a rig, too bad where I am it would need a smog check

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Callling a 400 a "boat anchor" is fightin' words to some people!! They are good engines if built right. $1000 sounds lke a great price unless the rust is really bad.

chadomatic

Loc.
St Paul
I had a 79 for years with a 400. I could get 12 mpg out of it when I drove it back and forth to college. It was very dependable and reliable.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
I have been looking for the right 78-79 for a while. Post some photos, I want to see what $1000 will get you. I have found lots of "Pretty good but needs work" ones for $2000.

If you look around and keep an eye open they can be found for a really good price. The one I'm running now I bought for $2000. It has a mild built 351M, NP435/205, Mosser rear axles with a spool and warn fronts with a Detroit plus a new set of boggers.

For me the body was just too big on the trails. Any incline and I just couldn't see crap. If someone was in front of me and dropped off any at all I'd have to stop, swing open the door and stand up and look over to see where they and the trail went. I'm say this all in past tense for a reason...no more body;D Actually I should have the ranger cab and front clip on in the next few weeks. I'll get my visibility back plus I'm dropping a huge chunk of weight ;)

For a street or tow truck....the 78/79 would be great at. Oh, I'm not knocking them as far as a trail truck goes, it's just I need to see where I'm going ;)

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
For a street or tow truck....the 78/79 would be great at. Oh, I'm not knocking them as far as a trail truck goes, it's just I need to see where I'm going

Don't forget mud truck. Down here in FL and up in GA they are a really popular choice for mud trucks. You can stuff swamppers and mudder under them, you have a lot of space in the engine bay and in the cab and they are relatively affordable. All of those are what make them a popular choice for a mud truck.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
For a street or tow truck....the 78/79 would be great at. Oh, I'm not knocking them as far as a trail truck goes, it's just I need to see where I'm going ;)

That's why I need to find the right one. I'm looking for a nice stocker to use as a family truckster. I have the inlaws in Arizona looking for a nice rust free one for me.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Not interested in the 400m unless they sell for anything besides boat anchors.

I wouldn't be interested in the 400m, neither. Because they didn't exist. Now a 400, on the other hand - I would gladly take that off of your hands to add to my collection.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
That's why I need to find the right one. I'm looking for a nice stocker to use as a family truckster. I have the inlaws in Arizona looking for a nice rust free one for me.

Not sure if you'd want to come this far for one but here's some local around the Knoxville TN area.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2418006896.html
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2413782619.html
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2383201549.html

some for the trails
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/2404841608.html
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2407492451.html

OP
OP
Ourobos

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Here's a few pics. Was restored about 3-4 years ago, looked great, they obviously covered up some rust, as both 1/4 wheel openings look poorly / improperly done. Tailgate has some rust showing too. And I was wrong, after talking to the owner, it has a 351m in it. With so many projects, it's hard for me to pull the trigger.

79a.JPG

79b.JPG

79c.JPG

79d.JPG

79e.JPG

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is a steal at 100 bucks! I notice it has a tilt wheel too. Rear quarters are a snap to replace on those.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think Bill dropped a 0. That's a steal at $1,000! I paid $500 for my 78 and this one is 10 x better.