• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lowered 72 halfcab

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
might be a lil early starting a build thread...

after ready Greatguy,Behemoth,and 77bronco_ed, Ive decided to take this next step myself. Even since I saw Odd Rod at a Charlotte Show(7-8 yrs ago) Ive wanted one!

This probably wouldn't have even come to light, if it werent for us getting the 77 for the wife(which happens to be my daily driver-no kindin) got all the bugs worked out with the 77,5.0 EFI swap,new tires,cyntech harness...thing runs sweet and dependable.

So now, I can focus on actually doing this lowered bronco. It started a decent 72 halfcab that had a frame off done a few years back...but never was finished and never left a garage.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Didnt want to cut up a really nice frame with all new suspension lift...so i sold the rolling chassis to a friend, and he brought me another frame to go crazy with.

went to a swap meet a few weeks back and saw this narrowed nine for $50(couldnt resist!) dont even know if this will work out later done the road, but we will see.
attachment.php

my plan is to atleast have something like Odd Rod(for now)...my goal will be what 77bronco_ed is building(streetrod bronco)

I really want to skinny/fat look and would love to drive to the loacl track and lay some rubber down-then drive home ;D

I know alot of folks are gonna say...screw it!-build what you want once...and agree some. But, as funds are low...I feel I can get this lowered bronco rolling faster by going this route, then collect all the rear suspension stuff,new wheels/tires,etc...then redo the back half at that time.

Ive collected a few things already...I will be adding more pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
here's the frame and the stuff that needs to be removed
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I removed everything from the frame Sat, smoothed everything out...but still have to smooth off the rear shock mounts(they been cut off,but need grinding)
I also have to weld up some of the cut lines I made when removing the motor mounts. Im hoping to move the motor back some as well...not sure how much. I would like to see a 1" or 2" moving it.

picked up a nice Explorer 8.8 with disc and 4.10 open(looking to install a trac lok or lock-rite)

got a rebuild AOD tranny and a decent set of Mustang bullit wheels(the rubber needs replacing, but will work for now)

ill post some pics of those parts when i get home later.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
yeah...no kiddin;D

forgot to mention, the motor is a nicely built 306 that was removed from the 77 DD.

302 bored .031(supposedly.001 over for NOS) over, roller motor,1.6 roller rockers,trick flow/twisted wedge alum heads(2.02/1.60),alum intake-port match to intake. has a 600 holley w/vac sec. 10:1 compression
cam spec sheet..
attachment.php

my buddies dyno program...claims
Chucks306.jpg

guess we'll see

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Always wanted to do one of these myself...maybe someday I will. Until then it's nice to see others going down that road! Keep posting pics!

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Alright. It must be contagious! %)

thats a fact! but its a good thing right?

dont worry Ben...they wont run me out yet;D

of coarse it didnt help coming home to a broke AC system in the house%) hope my bronco buddy can get it going again later. nice having bronco peeps that help each other:cool:

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
got all the brackets cleaned up on the 8.8...removed the sway bar mounts and spring perches. for some reason Fatman dropped the ball last week and didnt place the order, now i have to call and find out why.

curious...they left me a message fri late asking if i was getting a manual or power rack...why would that even matter?? i thought if ya had manual, you could swap out for a power or visa versa? oh well...ill find out today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
looks like Fatman Fab came through and delivered the custom cross member. actually looks right too.

wish I could afford the rest of the mustang II suspension tho:cry:

maybe if the rest of FBG sells...I could get more ordered:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20110629_160153.jpg
    IMG_20110629_160153.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20110629_160209.jpg
    IMG_20110629_160209.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20110629_160218.jpg
    IMG_20110629_160218.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 69

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Cool... Instructions show that hats will be on an angle and they provide all the appropriate dimensions correct? I can see that the hats are labeled. Looks like you will still have some cutting and fitting on the hats like everyone else. The crossmember appears that it only is welded from underneath unlike heidts which are also welded along the inside of the frame.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Cool... Instructions show that hats will be on an angle and they provide all the appropriate dimensions correct? I can see that the hats are labeled. Looks like you will still have some cutting and fitting on the hats like everyone else. The crossmember appears that it only is welded from underneath unlike heidts which are also welded along the inside of the frame.

yeah, they have the correct angles set on the upper parts...i have to trim off the very back lip(its marked with"trim")

its pretty nice, this is made just for the EB(atleast my frame that is). i just sat the upper parts there for the pic. i too was a lil concerned about the cross member only being welded from underneath...looks like i could have left my motor mount in place%)

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Looks good, did you send them some measurements on your frame for this or is this something that they already had? I would be curious to know what the measurement is from the bottom of the frame to the center of the lower arm hole is. Just to compare it to mine to see where your ride height will be.

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Looks good, did you send them some measurements on your frame for this or is this something that they already had? I would be curious to know what the measurement is from the bottom of the frame to the center of the lower arm hole is. Just to compare it to mine to see where your ride height will be.

i gave the all the frame measurements and they did the rest. as soon as I can get things tacked in place...i should be able to get some numbers for ya

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Can you scan and pass along the directions... Curious I believe that all critical dimensions would be the same.

-Ed

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
The badass chassis showed up yesterday from Checkered Racing. Mustang I I, QA1 coilovers front and rear. 45"narrowed 9", Moser 31 spline big bearing shafts with 5x4.5" pattern, back half with built 4link. All 2x3 .125 wall box tubing. 58" track width and 93" wheel base
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
<br />
<br />
Sent using my HTC ONE via Tapatalk<br/>

I know y'all won't care much for the motor lmao...but it won't matter. It a complete 98 corvette 5.7 all aluminum with 90k. Couldn't turn it down. It came with 2 intakes, throttle bodys, 2 EEC's, unused new stand alone harness, and dyi motor mounts. uploadfromtaptalk1399577710648.jpg
Plan to install turbo and 4L60E. uploadfromtaptalk1399577781049.jpg

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
That looks familiar… Now the fun begins! Probably should just cut out the bed now…Only way to set the body on ;)
Nice present to yourself!

-Ed

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Yeah ed, after seeing yours I knew what I wanted. I love it. However I no longer have that 72 halfcab. So I'm looking for another.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Mine is on hold for a bit…. I was forced to move into a smaller house. There is a 1.5 garage with no electricity. I need to fix up a few other items before I can get to the garage. I guess the positive is that the lot is double so I have plenty of room to add a nice size garage once I find a job again. In the mean time I am gong to figure out how to squeeze everything in the garage!

That frame will be a good source of motivation to find another Bronco!

-Ed