• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carpet and Sound Abatement Question

DaveS74

My 75 Bronco has a completely Rhino Lined interior. However, I'm wanting to replace it with carpet and reduce the noise at the same time. I'm looking for suggestions and wanting to gather as many options before deciding. Whats the best insulation/sound deadening and carpet combo. I live in Southern California and my Bronco has no top, only a family bikini top occasionally. I park it in my garage each night and on the 3-4 days it rains here a year;D, I don't drive it, so moisture is not a problem.
I like the Wildhorses sound abatement/insulation kit and carpet kit but dont know how that would work over rhino lining. Does anyone have this and how do you like it? Are there better carpet kits? I'm wanting to reduce the sound as much as possible and reduce that tin drum sound effect. I realize without a top that there will still be plenty of external noise, but I can live with that.

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
I was thinking of doing the raptor liner in mine but have since decided (for now) to use this stuff for sound and a bit of heat insulation - http://www.raamaudio.com/products/RAAMmat-BXT-II.html
I used it in a couple of other project vehicles and also in my DD Tacoma. I like it and it's a good price for what it is.
I also would consider doing what fatboy44211 did here:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183325&page=4
about 1/2 way down the page you'll see a dense foam on top of a product like raamat and under the carpet. I'd be interested in getting more info on that option. I like almost anything better than that jute padding stuff.
Good luck.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Mine is done Redneck style. But I did a spray in liner 1st then I sprayed 3M on top of that then I put in a sheet of Insulation I got from Lowes about 1/2 thick.. Then I cut black carpet I got from a carpet house. Mine is much quiter than my Running Buddies. My Bronco has a 4bt in it I'm still loud but Not to bad after moving and I'm keeping the heat out.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i use hushmat and it lays ontop of the spray in liner just fine. carpet over the top of it and you're golden

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I think the WH insulation kit would work great over the lining. I went a cheaper route. I just had the interrior painted along with the body. I used doubled up Jute carpet pad and doubled up jute firewall pads under the vinyl mat. I think it's better than the dynamat I've used. I've used 3/8" foam from Home Depot everywhere else I could put it. It's real quiet and has helped the A/C out too. I live in a dry climate and park it in the garage so the jute is no problem. And if it does get wet, its inexpensive to replace.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Frank's '75 started off with just Rhino, but he runs a full top. It was nauseatingly loud on the highway (the twin flows don't help). So I filled the cargo floor grooves with DynaMat Xtreme (Peel-N-Seal roofing is cheaper), and then put another layer over everything flat. Carpet on top of that. Padded/upholstered hardboard bedwalls & door panels. Custom interior trim around the side windows. Repro headliner (DynaMat up there, too). He can have a hands-free cell-phone conversation with the cruise set at 80, and the other person doesn't even know he's in a vehicle; much less a 35-y-o truck.

. . . . .

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
You might want to check out a product called FATMAT as well. similar to dynamat but with a better price. I know a guy that used it on the inside of mustang he was rebuilding and he really liked it. He drove it for about a month or so with just the carpet and said his ears were ringing every time he would get out and the AC could not keep it cool. He added the FATMAT and said that it was 1000% better. AC worked better and almost no road or engine noise.
Just another option....;D

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dynamat, Dynamat, Dynamat, sound deadener, and heat insulation. I did this to mine in the cap, floors, wheel wells, tranny tunnel, and floor pans.
Dropped the temp 100 degrees over the cat area

OP
OP
D

DaveS74

Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely can make something work with all the options here.

Question about the Doors though. If I remove the door panels, Do I just glue the material directly to the inside of the outer wall of the door? Or on all the interior walls of the door? Or do the doors even matter?

backpain

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely can make something work with all the options here.

Question about the Doors though. If I remove the door panels, Do I just glue the material directly to the inside of the outer wall of the door? Or on all the interior walls of the door? Or do the doors even matter?

In your case, they do not matter - door sound insulation with no top or with a soft top will not significantly reduce noise. Door temp intrusion is not much of an issue either, unless your top somehow will hold in heat in the wintertime and you have insulated everything else; heat absorption through the doors is not the biggest heat issue to manage

That being said, if you do want insulation in the doors - whatever is attached to the outer skin will be most effective for sound but must tolerate water if the exterior will get wet. Additional coverage of the inside panel will also help, but can be protected by a door opening membrane to cut down water intrusion if you so choose.

Johns1977

If you were going to do it again would you do the rhino line, then a sound barrier then carpet?

Or save some time and money and do a sound barrier then carpet?