• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help from you taller guys??

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
I searched before posting, so go easy on me;D

There have been a bunch of threads about seats, but none of them really specifically addressed which commercially available seat & bracket combo results in the most headroom. I'll gladly pay Tom's, Wild Horses, Summit, Procar, PRP, Corbeau, Mastercraft or whoever, but I want to keep it as low as possible without lowering the floor or fabricating new brackets. I'm 6'3", but one of my frequent passengers is 6'10". Recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Apathy

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I am 6'8" and looked around quite a bit for answers to this. I don't think you are going to find anything that is a "bolt-on" that is going to be satisfactory. I ended up going with Besttop trailmax Pro II seats - they sit really low. However, I fabbed my own brackets to get them as close to the floor as I could. Stock/commercially available stuff just isn't going to do it if you are really tall, IMO.

Last edited:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
6'10" is gonna need a hole in the roof. ;D

I think a lot of it boils down to the mounts used. As you know the factory seats have pretty shallow bases and the mounts are only 1" tall. I think most of the Bronco vendor seats are very similar, especially when you can use the factory sliders. If your passenger can't fit in a stock seat I doubt you will shoehorn him into anything aftermarket.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I the used the Elite seats from WH. they are an inch or so lower, I'm 6'4".
I have plenty of room using the seats all the way back on the WH tracks.
I think the biggest problem is the windshield. I plan on using the WH windshield with the wipers on the bottom, just haven't gotten around to it.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
At 6'-6" I've never found a lack of headroom in the Bronco. There's plenty of space above my head with the stock seats.

Now, when I first bought it, I had a perceived lack of headroom, but that was mainly due to the wiper motor cover seeming to be in the way of my view out. Once I got used to looking at the reflection in the hood to see traffic lights at stops, I didn't bother me anymore. The plus side is that I hardly ever have to use the sun visors.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've had the same experience as John. I'm 6'3" also, and have the Mustang GT seats which, although I love the seat, are way too tall for a perfect ride.

The Procar Elite seats are much lower and a couple of friends have them in theirs. Even for me, they fit in such a way that you can see out the windshield WAY better than I can in my GT seats.

The Procar basic seat (Pro-90 I think it used to be called) is cheap, feels good if you're skinny and/or shorter than 5'10" or so, but for that reason is way to small for someone over 180 lbs, or say, about 6'1" and above. They're too short in the seat department for someone who's height comes mostly from their legs (like me).
Otherwise, out of the vehicle, they're pretty darn comfy.

The Procar Rally is very supportive and very comfortable. However it is, once again (I feel) made for the slimmer of those among us. And in my experience, also too high in the side-bolster department for a Bronco. Especially a lifted daily-driver.
I can't say whether they're too tall to sit in however, as I've not been in an EB equipped with one. Haven't heard any negative feedback from customers either, but the Elite is the more popular one around here anyway.

So from that brand at least, the Elite is the way to go from a Procar/EB standpoint. There are a few threads hereabouts regarding the off-road style seats (Mastercraft, Corbeau, etc.) and the factory seats from the junkyard, where some have found a good fit.
In my experience, the factory seats I've looked at were all too tall. There are undoubtedly some out there that work, I just haven't sat in any.
Customers seem to like the Mastercraft and Corbeau too, but I don't have any personal experience sitting in Broncos with them installed.

And here again, some will be different because owners have fabbed up their own brackets (like roll cage tubing) or have even lowered their floors. That last is a big job, but is a very cool way of getting exactly the seat you want, and fitting it up to your individual needs. You likely will lose your aux. tank, but a lot of owners aren't running one anymore anyway.

PaulB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I miss the stock seats from both a height, and a simplicity standpoint. Easy to get into the front or back, looked appropriately sized in a Bronco, and you didn't worry as much about them as you do your $600+ worth of aftermarket seats.

Yeah, I sure miss the simple old days. But then, I like comfort, EFI, more than 3-speeds in the trans, more than 0° of caster, beefier steering components, bent radius arms, bigger tires, heavy-ass bumpers with big racks, winches, A/C and all sorts of other not-so-simple stuff!

Paul

JohnT

Loc.
West Virginia
Well I bought a pair of the Summit racing sport seats , I thought they looked a little big for the Bronco and they was not very comfortable at all . I took them back to Summit , I'm still looking for a nice set of seats . Good Luck .

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
I'm 6'8" and use PRPs on the stock slider and have better headroom than stock seats. My height is my sun visor...haha

OP
OP
apathy

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
I still have the stock seats, but they need new foam and upholstery. I could buy NEW seats for not that much more money. I've been runnning high-back buckets on custom frames and sliders out of another vehicle. I feel like Lurch on the Adams Family. The after-market windshield frame is a very expensive option....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If I was as tall as you guys I would check out a set of mid 70's corvette seats they are very low in the seat bottom.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I honestly believe there should be a downside to being tall. I have no sympathy that you'll be uncomfortable driving a Bronco.;D Sorry if my shortman syndrom is kicking in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sure it's not just the heat talking there buckaroo?

Paul

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Note to self do not make any of the above members get mad at me;) I can run fast.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I'll chime in.. At 6'3" I too fought this battle and ended up with a pair of PRP suspension seats bolted direcly to the floor using their sliders. They were the lowest seats I could find at the time and I really like them. Some don't like the high bolsters on the sides but I have really grown to love these seats, especially on the trail.

Good luck.

BigPrince

Loc.
Atlanta
I'm 6'8" and we cut the floor to match the front floor. I didn't go all the way down to the ground but with 1-2" spacers tied into a roll cage bracket it's nice. If another person buys it, all they have to do is put normal seat mount bars across the roll cage and they'll have a nice cubby to store things under the driver seat. Problem is the passenger seat is still tied in as well but we left the normal seat mount bars to mount it so it's higher and looks kinda goofy. I need to drop it as well, not as much but closer. I'm running Corbeau Baja RS seats that I had the seat bottom shave an extra inch. Seat is comfy and it does sit very low. I'll have pics in my build thread when I can get time to create it. I'm waiting till I get it somewhat respectable looking.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm about 6'4" and run the Mastercraft Sportsman seats in mine mounted on the factory '77 sliders on the drivers side and using the factory mounting brackets slightly tweaked on the passenger side. These seats are slightly lower the factory seats and I can sit in them all day without complaint. For my height, it would be nice if the backs were slightly taller, but I think a comparable PRP would get you there for less money. As for the high-ish side bolsters, I run a small steering wheel and have my hop figured out just right that it's not that big of a deal getting in and out IMHO. Well worth it for a seat that supports you when the going gets rough.

Tobin

OP
OP
apathy

apathy

Loc.
West Linn
I am only 6' tall but I have big feet.

You know what they say: "Big Feet...Big Socks";D

I know I said "headroom", but as much as anything else, I want to be able to see out the windshield without having my field of view obstructed by the wiper cover, windshield frame, etc. Maybe I should just buy seats that recline and lay the seatback down for that East L.A. low-rider look. Then, I could airbag the Bronco, put in some hydraulics for bounce, buy spinners, a chrome chainlink steering wheel.....