• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spare tire carrier latch

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I wanted to post some pics of the spare tire carrier latch that I found at the junkyard. I've been looking for an OEM latch for some time and this is the best that I've found. It came off a late 80s early 90s Nissan Pathfinder. This latch is very rugged and has a primary latch and a secondary failsafe latching arm incase the primary fails. It will catch and stop the carrier from swinging away. It also has two rubber bumpstops that keep it from rattling and finally a hard plastic ramp to assist the carrier as it sags over time. I didn't use the ramp, but have it for future use if needed. Oh, and it cost me $15 ;)

thanks,
Renard

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 131

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Nice work and I like the spicer lock out hub on your spare. Again nice detail work. ;)

Darren

Loc.
Edmonton, AB.
Sorry to bring up a stale thread... ;)

It looks great!

I just seen one of these spare tire carriers in the wrecking yard and I thought I would search it here to see who else used one.

RnrdTheFox, I see you just used the latch. I was thinking about using the whole carrier... if it would fit. I am not much of a welder so if the whole thing would fit it would work out good for me. I have a glass tub and there is no spare tire carrier on it right now.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
How did u do the spare hub deal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S3 using Tapatalk 2 on Cyanogenmod

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
Sorry to bring up a stale thread... ;)

It looks great!

I just seen one of these spare tire carriers in the wrecking yard and I thought I would search it here to see who else used one.

RnrdTheFox, I see you just used the latch. I was thinking about using the whole carrier... if it would fit. I am not much of a welder so if the whole thing would fit it would work out good for me. I have a glass tub and there is no spare tire carrier on it right now.

You would have to do some welding to fab an attachment point for carrier to swing from. Since you have a glass tub, I'd assume you would attach this to your bumper. Also, depending on how large of a spare you would be using, you would need to make sure the stock holder would accommodate it. From what I remember, it would hold a rather large tire.

OP
OP
RnrdTheFox

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
How did u do the spare hub deal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-S3 using Tapatalk 2 on Cyanogenmod

I had some stock hubs laying around. welded some plate n the back, cut a square hole in it, put a 2 x 2" tube in it and welded it to the swing arm. Worked out nice, plus I can put a spare outer bearing and hub lockout in it.

Darren

Loc.
Edmonton, AB.
You would have to do some welding to fab an attachment point for carrier to swing from. .QUOTE]

You know originally I wanted to bolt it to the stock location, but after thinking about it, a design like yours would be much, much stronger. I guess I will have to get the mig out and practice a bit. Thanks...