• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help quick

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
end the middle of a rear brake job. Have all together and went well until I went to put the new brake drum on...tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, the adjuster is all the way in, everything is where it should be....what is going on??? 1973 9" with 10" brakes

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
did you open the bleader on the wheel cylinder? and smack the pads? and do your old shoes look similar?

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
here is what I replaced today...EVERYTHING! LOL
tore it down to bare backing plate. Installed new wheel cylinder, springs, pads, drums, pins...all but the adjuster.

Will open the bleeder on the cylinder, failed to think about that gien I just installed a new one..HOPEFULLY a little air. Everything though is tight fit on the cam where the shoes come together...

New drums fit other side that has not been replaced yet. I matched brake up after I bought them..looks perfect in match...I am beginning to dislike drum brakes

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Hey Viper...I left the other side intact. I have the factory manuals, I went through this over and over....I checked the e-brake cable, backing plate is straight, every seats dead nut...pull the adjusters and made sure no burrs are on it....check this and that and all others....everything is there. Long shoes on the rear..

Here is the deal...I bought the drums and shoes at O'reilleys...the show 3 sets of shoes, two are for 11" and the other has no mention to drum size which is what they sold me...counter child was non too bright and therefore my bad.

I ordered NAPA shoes today, which is what I should have done but my impatience got the best of me...

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Viper you are the MAN. See you back on the part game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLBachs

longer to the rear, short to the front

Sorry to be a hi-jacker - really? you do short pad to the front? I was always taught short pad to the rear with the rationale that the weight of the vehicle is still trying to move forward, shoving the front pad against the drum so it needs to be larger.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
I have long pad to the back like the manual stated and threads I read and that was how they came off. Hell, I will put them on inside out at this point

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hard to tell from the fisheye pics. Do the shoes have the same curature as the originals? Hardware looks ok.

Longer lining goes to rear and does most of the braking. The front (primary shoe) just wedges the rear shoe against the drum and the pin at top. This is the self-actuating action of the drum brakes.

75bronco08

Loc.
sublimity,oregon
years ago we would arc the pad to the drum.in other word remove linning from top of shoe and the bottom to match the curve of the drum.i would sand all four corners down just a bit tappering it may be just enough get the drum on.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
when I picked them up I had my originals...same arc, length, width..just more meat on the pad. The pads are still quite good fortunately. I will be getting the NAPA pads in two days and will see. If they have the same problem, well then a lit road flare will be in order

JLBachs

No looks right (I still have issues with short shoe to the front but that's my problem not yours) - what about the place on the shoes where the equalizer bar seats. Is that spot identical from old shoes to new?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Judging from the pictures it looks like you have an 11 inch shoe. take the un installed shoes and put them in the drum and see how they fit.