• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

alternator wiring

cvbfireman

i just asked this but i figure id start another thread..... my alternator wiring has 2 wires... i thought there were 3 did one fall off.??? theres a orange cap wire... and a black and i think yellow wire... where do these go... when i hit a high/er rpm all the lights surge...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
See my answer in your other thread.
The third wire on an EB is the ground wire. It's Black w/red and small.
If you have a later model, there may be a White w/black "stator" wire that connects to your automatic choke on the carb. But it's not on all Broncos.
What year is yours again?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not only what year? But what has been done to the wiring on this one? Is it original and clean? Hacked to bits by the PO? Aftermarket and not making sense?

More input please...

Johnny-5

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

its a 72 i believe it had the original 302 in it when i got ahold of it... not hacked at all

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, thanks. The '72 should not have had a Stator wire, so yours is ok with 3 total. Black w/yellow, Orange, and small Black w/red (ground) wire.

Not sure when the stator wire started getting used with the carb choke, but it doesn't appear to be in '73 either, so not like it's a transition year in your case.
In fact, maybe EB's never had stator wires? Don't remember.

Maybe you're just remembering other Broncos, or other vehicles?

Paul